14 Mossberg 500 That ISN’T NFA!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After my first reply back from Mossberg, I replied back commenting that by what I can see there is no state that allows for a shotgun to be under 18" in barrel length and with that, asked why would they market a shotgun that is not compliant in any state?

Here is their reply:

Hi Ron,
Per federal ATF requirrments (sic) the shockwave is not considered a shotgun by federal law but a pistol grip firearm.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.

Doubt I will hear back from Pruitt's office but will post if I do.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There you have it. The State of Oklahoma defines a shotgun as having a barrel of at least 18 inches, and a sawed-off shotgun as any firearm that can discharge a series of projectiles and has a barrel less than 18" in length. It doesn't say the barrel actually has to be sawed off; it just calls it that if the barrel is less than 18" in length.

So the ATF calls the Mossberg 590 Shockwave a "firearm" but not a shotgun, while the State of Oklahoma would call it a sawed-off shotgun by virtue of it being "any firearm" that has a barrel less than 18" in length and which discharges a series of projectiles. So my reading of these statutes - thanks for posting them, HH - is that the 590 Shockwave would be illegal in the State of Oklahoma.

I hope someone can prove me wrong.

If this is the case than the Taurus judge, s&w governor, bond Derringer, leinad Derringer, the super Comanche, the rossi matched pair, some Thompson contenders, and more that im sure im not thinking about all fall under this definition.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is the case than the Taurus judge, s&w governor, bond Derringer, leinad Derringer, the super Comanche, the rossi matched pair, some Thompson contenders, and more that im sure im not thinking about all fall under this definition.

It's certainly a gray area when it comes to some of those firearms you mentioned, but one of the definitions of a shotgun is a smoothbore barrel. The Judge has a rifled barrel, and technically, its caliber is listed as 45 Colt, if I'm not mistaken. So the Judge would be classified as a pistol, no? I'm guessing also some of the other firearms you mentioned are of the same ilk.

But it's easier to envision a Judge as being a pistol, if a largish one, than it is to envision the Shockwave as anything other than a short-barreled shotgun. A justice of the peace would probably see it that way, technicalities aside, so you'd have an uphill battle in court. Better have a heck of a good lawyer and deep pockets.

kahrk-9

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Only if you put shot shells in them.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are handguns because of the rifled bore.
If you rifled a shotgun barrel in order to call it a handgun, it would be a destructive device because the bore is larger than 50 cal. Except possibly the 410.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interestingly, 2A Firearms got in three of these last week, and sold two already. What do those folks know about the legality of the Shockwave in OK that we don't?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There was one in the OSA classifieds. I think the only way you will have trouble is if you get caught doing something else stupid. I recently saw a news story about a drug bust in Skiatook, there were several traditional handguns as well as a pistol AR and AK with braces that were taken into evidence. Of course they described the brace equipped guns as rifles not as pistols. I'm actually surprised they didn't call them short barreled rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom