1899 pocket watch, Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay SO In all my antiques I bought I found a ELGIN 14K Boss 25yr warranted pocket watch. The watch is an elgin 15 or 16 jewel watch. I am looking to get an estimate on its value. Anyone here colect pocket watches that could help me out?

What is cool is I have the original sales receipt with it from 1899 in mint condition where they spent $13.50 on it. I will upload pictures of the watch for you trained eye's viewing pleasure. LOL P.S. the crystal is gone but I figures a skilled watch repair shop could fix that for me.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty cool.

I don't know much about them.

There is a guy here in Tulsa area named Ron Starnes that deals in and repairs them though. I just know his name, not how to reach him but it might be a start.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watches Ect. in Bethany,Oklahoma...a Westside suburb of OKC. Talk to Charlie,he deals in pre-owned rolex amd last I remember he had some pocket watches.
The pocket watch market has been going up steadily. Ask Charlie questions and then when you find what model you have
look it up.

I'm sure there are websites with Elgin that you could find and post questions to get a general idea.

That is pretty neat that you have a bill of sale with the watch. If it were me,I'd get ot in running condition and display it with the sales bill.

Cohiba

djcorrell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are two really good Elgin reference web sights. Google is your friend here. If you cant find it pm me and i can send links. Once you know the calibre and mfg date info, ebay is a good start. There are also several Elgin collector websites. Our watchmaker charges approx. 75 to 100 for a custom cut beveled glass crysal, plastic would work too and they are much more reasonable. One more side note, the case is clad in gold, not solid. Looks like a nice watch though.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shame it's out of warranty or else I would give you what it cost new, but with no warranty I'm not interested.

When our little safe was stolen I lost 12 pocket watches...My grandfather was a watch maker and they all worked and in mint condition.

:crying:

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
They vary in value. If you look on the net, they are all over the place. It looks a little small, but that doesn't really mean anything in terms of value. In fact women's watches are sometimes more valuable.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well crap lost my desk key where my Shugarts book is. If you need a answer now I'd ask the question here: http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums. I have a whole library at home I can give you how may were made,when, as well as date, and parts needed to fix it. It was purchased in 1896 but that's when it was sold not necessary made.

Now as a collector with more pocket watches I can count the money is going to be in how good of condition the case is in.

CASE:
A 16 size hunter case with no brass showing (I see where it appears the watch has been buffed which is sometimes done to hide the brass for a sale). It does appear to have a few flaws but if no brass is showing then the case is worth about $75 to $100 which is the value of the watch. It would be robbed to replace a brassed case on a more collectible watch. The case appears to be original to the movement since I don't see but one set of case screws.

Dial:
Common it has a large hairline really no real value there but it might bring 10 to 20 bucks if sold separately. Most collector would remove the dial to rob a collectible dial off another watch and sell the result.

Movement:
If it's working the movement maybe worth 30 or 40 dollars. It's a 15J which isn't railroad grade but a good medium grade watch but no real gilding which collectors want. Fairly plain. If not working it's not worth fixing but we buy these to rob parts since (jewel,pinion, and such) aren't made anymore. A beginning collector may buy a watch like this but it would be like a beginning gun buyer buying a Raven arms gun (better quality though).

I can see by the way the movement is adjusted it's been a long time since it's been serviced and needs a new mainspring (set to fast). For a new mainspring and a COA (clean-oil-adjust) your going to spend the $100 it's worth on Ebay.

Bottom line is this isn't really a collectible grade watch and these are common as dirt.

I've got many parts purchased out of jewelery stores closings for Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, and Illinois. I also have the timing machine and commercial grade 3 stage ultra-sonic cleaners. I really only work on my collection and have a dozen or more I need to COA or restaff so I can't really help you out with the work. What I can do if you pop the bezel off and bring it to me in Claremore I'll find you a crystal for it (I have thousands for old parts cabinets). If you give me the watch for a week I can also oil the pivots for you.

It would be the weekend before I have access to my library at home so PM me if you need more info. It looks like the serial number is: 8075302 let me know if that's correct and I'll dig out some info out of my Elgin books from the period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom