1899 pocket watch, Need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TTown, WOW. good info. The watch hasn't been buffed in at least 60 years. That's when everything was deposited in the attic that I retrieved it from. Not sure if that matters or not. there are 3-4 numbers on the watch. most of them match, one does not matching numbers are 6065348 the non matching number around them rim when you open the back is 65348 missing the 60 from the other number.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only numbers that count are the one on the movement which I read as 8075302. Early on a watch manufacture made a movement then you'd pick what case you wanted for the total price. The case SN never matches unless done at the factory and it will say it on the case.

That's a high quality case and 16 size is a very popular case size. You can buff it to sell it no issues there. If you see the gold looks shiny and some gold looks dull that's brass where the case has worn though. The dishonest always try to buff it to make it look like no brass is showing.

There are other number on the movement but you'd have to pull it a part to see em most of the time. I doubt anyone has robbed parts of the movement.

BTW if you need a crystal and that's all it needs let me know, I'm sure I have one. Just pull the bezel or bring the watch and I'll do it.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dug out my old Shugarts book. Un-named Elgin movements can be hard to identify sometimes. The serial number does put it as 1899 manufacture. It is a common movement, in great shape it would be worth around 100 bucks. As ttown said most of the value is in the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom