1911 Bobtail housing install with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My checkering will be so fine that you can't even feel it. Something along the lines of 100 lines per inch. I'd take pics, but you'd all be jealous of my skills. :)

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glowworm is already nervier than me because I don't think I could've brought myself to start on even a mil-spec Springfield! LOL

The only thing that really concerned me was drilling the new MSH hole, because if I dorked that up, I would have been screwed. An errant file mark can be fixed...and at the end of the day, the satisfaction from doing/trying something that a lot of people wouldn't even consider is kinda neat.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to hang out with a guy that learned to build 1911s while he was in the Navy. They were taught to stipple the front straps and it wasn't uncommon for someone to punch through the front strap with the pneumatic stippling gun.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dig it, you got balls.

I wanted a bobbed 1911 and had no desire to do it myself and weighed the cost of having the Springfield Custom Shop do my Loaded, vs buying one already done. I made a list of what I wanted out of a carry gun and it pointed me to the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD. If I had the nerve or skill to do this, it sure would have been "cheaper"!

Congrats on the final product. Something to be proud of for sure.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dig it, you got balls.

I wanted a bobbed 1911 and had no desire to do it myself and weighed the cost of having the Springfield Custom Shop do my Loaded, vs buying one already done. I made a list of what I wanted out of a carry gun and it pointed me to the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD. If I had the nerve or skill to do this, it sure would have been "cheaper"!

Congrats on the final product. Something to be proud of for sure.
It really wasn't that hard to do the actual drilling/grinding. The finishing is where your money goes when you have it done. I've still got some blending and polishing to do and then it is off to get cerakoted.

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hang out with a guy that learned to build 1911s while he was in the Navy. They were taught to stipple the front straps and it wasn't uncommon for someone to punch through the front strap with the pneumatic stippling gun.
Ugly, perhaps, but not the end of the world. If it's just a service gun, you could tack a bit of weld in there and try again. Part of the reason I did this on a Springer GI was that I wouldn't feel too bad if I dorked it up. Will I try doing this on an an Ed Brown or a Nighthawk? Hell no. Some things are best left to the pros.

Latest posts

Top Bottom