1911 Bobtail housing install with pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
shopping.jpg

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've got the 1911 back together and it appears to function as it should. All the parts added were Ed Brown. National Match trigger, Perfection Sear and Disconnector, Commander hammer, Beavertail safety, and finally, the bobtail mainspring housing. Both safeties work as they should. I've got some massaging to do to the grip safety because there appears to be a reset hangup (any ideas?) Of course, everything needed to be fitted. I still need to do some polishing and final blending, then I need to get the slide dovetailed for new sights. Final step will be cerakote or some other finish. Because I was rushing, I dorked up the grips and they aren't even, but I think I've got a spare set laying around. I'll probably go with a set of VZ grips once I'm done, so I'm not too concerned. Constructive criticism is welcome!!!View attachment 58893 View attachment 58894
Lookin good! :thumb:

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I've got the 1911 back together and it appears to function as it should. All the parts added were Ed Brown. National Match trigger, Perfection Sear and Disconnector, Commander hammer, Beavertail safety, and finally, the bobtail mainspring housing. Both safeties work as they should. I've got some massaging to do to the grip safety because there appears to be a reset hangup (any ideas?) Of course, everything needed to be fitted. I still need to do some polishing and final blending, then I need to get the slide dovetailed for new sights. Final step will be cerakote or some other finish. Because I was rushing, I dorked up the grips and they aren't even, but I think I've got a spare set laying around. I'll probably go with a set of VZ grips once I'm done, so I'm not too concerned. Constructive criticism is welcome!!!View attachment 58893 View attachment 58894
Your SA has a .220" radius tang. The Ed brown is made for a .250" radius tang. That's why you have that nasty gap there. You need to buy a smith and Alexander beaver tail in .220" radius and use that.
The reset Hangup is the arm of the beaver tail pushing down on the top of the trigger bow.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMT is correct. I spent more time scouring source information about what I was about to do than I actually spent doing the work. That says a lot because the work was time consuming, mostly because I was quite afraid to screw it up. It also required a lot of nerve to go deep enough to get the results I wanted. I was WAY out of my comfort zone! Glowworm is already nervier than me because I don't think I could've brought myself to start on even a mil-spec Springfield! LOL

I'm going to have a lot more labor hours in the project than the gun will ever be worth. However, I think I picked a solid base gun to train on, as it was really about learning to do this stuff than it was the finished product. Overall I'm really happy with the results so far and the guys who've been around me know I'm pretty obsessive over details. I'm going to set a deadline to try and complete the project by Christmas, which is pretty aggressive considering my workload right now.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMT is correct. I spent more time scouring source information about what I was about to do than I actually spent doing the work. That says a lot because the work was time consuming, mostly because I was quite afraid to screw it up. It also required a lot of nerve to go deep enough to get the results I wanted. I was WAY out of my comfort zone! Glowworm is already nervier than me because I don't think I could've brought myself to start on even a mil-spec Springfield! LOL

I'm going to have a lot more labor hours in the project than the gun will ever be worth. However, I think I picked a solid base gun to train on, as it was really about learning to do this stuff than it was the finished product. Overall I'm really happy with the results so far and the guys who've been around me know I'm pretty obsessive over details. I'm going to set a deadline to try and complete the project by Christmas, which is pretty aggressive considering my workload right now.

Checkering??!! :D

Either way, the gun looks great and like I said, I think we have the same preferences.

Latest posts

Top Bottom