1911 cleaning lessons learned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I searched for a spring (I didn't shoot it, it was someone else) it was at the pistol range on mainside Camp Pendleton and I got poison ivy to boot. Ugh... I still remember that.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once I was cleaning the bolt from a M1 Carbine, and the extractor spring made a bid for freedom. After some searching, I realized that with no idea of which way it'd gone, my chances of locating such a tiny spring would be nil. Later that evening, I was watching TV, and I noticed one of my dogs had a burr on the back of her neck. I reached down to pick it off, and realized it was the greasy spring stuck to her fur...

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife swears she has spent half of our married life hunting for springs and small parts. She also hates finding spent primers in the carpet after a reloading session. Oh well, we can't all be perfect!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have learned that it is wise to keep a strong magnet handy. I have found numerous springs, plungers, and other such parts using an old speaker spring I keep *stuck* to my reloading desk.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife swears she has spent half of our married life hunting for springs and small parts. She also hates finding spent primers in the carpet after a reloading session. Oh well, we can't all be perfect!

LOL. I can resemble that remark too. Just remind her to be glad that they're not LIVE primers!

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I swept the entire garage one day then pulled out a magnet to go over the pile of debris. Finally found the spring for the magazine catch on my old P220. Also did the hands and knees move in my livingroom looking for a spring for my Glock. It was then when I learned the value of a 2 gallon ziplock bag. Really keeps those boing, bing, ting, tick, tick, tick pieces from launching into orbit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom