1911 cleaning lessons learned

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I swept the entire garage one day then pulled out a magnet to go over the pile of debris. Finally found the spring for the magazine catch on my old P220. Also did the hands and knees move in my livingroom looking for a spring for my Glock. It was then when I learned the value of a 2 gallon ziplock bag. Really keeps those boing, bing, ting, tick, tick, tick pieces from launching into orbit.

Hanging a towel and aiming whatever springloaded part you're dealing with at it works pretty well too.

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't worry, just fire up the lawn mower. You'll find it in no time.

Ya sure. With my luck, it would fly out of the mower and over the fence striking the elderly man across the street. I then go to jail for assault with parts from a deadly weapon and spend 20 in the clink. No thanks! I value my freedom too much, kind sir. :O

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know how it seems that everything slows down as you watch the tiny spring that you just launched arch up, up and away and then come down...never to be seen again? And you know it? And you swear that you will use a clear plastic bag next time..but you don't?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
another magnet fan .. a neodymium magnet works good... increases odds of finding tiny springs to 50% range vs close to zero for me without magnet.

spare tiny springs and parts are exceeding handy to have around.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A magnet is very handy. I have one of those telescoping types so it is easier to just walk around swinging it back and forth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom