1911 concealed, safety on or off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cocked and locked means hammer cocked, safety on.

Practice the draw with an empty weapon and a snap cap in, and you can get good at swiping off the safety as you bring the weapon up. Or you can carry hammer down but you have to practice cocking at the same point. Coming up to horizontal and the muzzle is away from your body. At least that is how I was taught. Probably has changed since then.
That's how I have been carrying it, but I am new to this frame so I need to get some experience behind it..

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cocked and locked means hammer cocked, safety on.

Practice the draw with an empty weapon and a snap cap in, and you can get good at swiping off the safety as you bring the weapon up. Or you can carry hammer down but you have to practice cocking at the same point. Coming up to horizontal and the muzzle is away from your body. At least that is how I was taught. Probably has changed since then.
Hammer at half cock not down especially a series 70.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's how I have been carrying it, but I am new to this frame so I need to get some experience behind it..
To me the 1911 is the most naturally pointing weapon for my hands. I can draw with my eyes closed and bring the gun up to eye level, open my eyes and be dead on target. Since selling my 1911 I have been using an XDM platform. I can do the same with the XDM because it just has the right grip angle for me without having to cock my wrist like I had to do with the SIG/ Browning BDA or any wheel gun.

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are carrying a 1911 cocked and safety OFF please consider a different platform. I'd hate to see you or someone else get hurt accidentally. Learn about the 1911 and learn it well then start carrying one.
That's why I'm asking this question... I have been carrying it with the safety on, just wondering if it was really necessary. Obviously, the unanimous consensus is yes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom