1911 concealed, safety on or off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With an extended thumb safety on a 1911 there is nothing more natural to engage/disengage as far as a safety in my opinion. It’s so natural you never notice it. Please continue to carry with the safety on

Hworth18

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're here for you man, just don't want any accidents to happen which end up with a bullet in your leg...or worse.
Understand completely, and that's why I asked here. I knew I'd get some lecturing, but mostly good, knowledgeable answers and I appreciate it. You won't learn anything if you don't ask, unless you like to learn the hard way. Thanks again!!!!!!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up until recently, I only carried 1911s unless I was fishing. Practicing drawing and setting your grip in a thumb forward position helps get everything in place. I have practiced swiping the safety off on the draw as well, but I tend to prefer having my dominant thumb over the top of the safety and offhand thumb just below. At that point it feels natural to maintain slight downward pressure with my dominant thumb to add an extra dimension of locking the grip into my hands without trying to squeeze it to death.

Now that I am carrying a Glock more to give my back a break from the weight, I notice that I still press my dominant thumb down onto my offhand thumb even though there is no safety to press against.

This is a tough environment to learn a new platform in, for sure. The difficulty finding ammunition and then paying through the nose for it makes it hard to justify putting the number of rounds downrange to start a good habit forming. Condition 1 (round chambered, hammer cocked, and safety on) is the safest way to carry a SAO semi auto pistol though.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cocked and locked means hammer cocked, safety on.

Practice the draw with an empty weapon and a snap cap in, and you can get good at swiping off the safety as you bring the weapon up. Or you can carry hammer down but you have to practice cocking at the same point. Coming up to horizontal and the muzzle is away from your body. At least that is how I was taught. Probably has changed since then.
This. The safety is located perfectly for your thumb to be in a position to flick it off as you draw your weapon. It is just instinc for me to operate the safety OFF just after my 1911 is free from holster and no longer pointed towards my foot/leg, as I bring it to full stance position I swipe the safety off. Its all one fluid motion.
Practice this over and over but do it with a cleared chamber, it will become second nature in a short time.
Same with a reholster, flick it back ON as you lower the gun to holster it.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever get a chance and can afford it, especially with ammo prices like they are, consider taking a class at Gunsite in Arizona. I assume they are still 1911 fans. I think an API150 is the beginning class although I haven't kept up. You'll be a safer gun handler, probably a better shooter, it's kinda fun, you may meet interesting people.

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It gets to be so ingrained my so called friends laugh there arsses off when they catch me swiping off or back on the thumb safety on one of my glocks.
Thank the Lord I have never done it on a revolver, never would live that down.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry a P320 but recently picked up a SA 1911 in 9mm. I carry one in the chamber, cocked and locked and have a owb holster. I usually wear a long, untucked shirt as concealment. Is the 1911 something I need to worry about without the safety on? Or is it like any other poly gun? I really don’t like the safety on.
I carry with the safety on with 1911/2011. Remember to practice you draw.

Jim Parry

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cocked and locked is the preferred method. However, I will bet, if you read your manual, the manufacturer will state that you shouldnt leave one in the pipe until ready to fire. However, I believe it is a personal preference. As a former LEO, Ive always been trained that the only weapon that accidentally shoots someone is the “unloaded” weapon. Subsequently, we are always trained to keep one in the tube with whatever safeties on. However, as a FORMER LEO (emphasis on. The former part) with the knowledge that some bad actors have some grudges against me, but with a young grandson who idolizes me and is fascinated with my history, (What can I say, he is an awesome kid!! ). I find it best to carry my 1911 without one in the pipe. I figure my accuracy against the bas***ds who would do me and my family harm would provide enough time to rack a round into the pipe. This provides me with comfort in my decision with the of not having a live round in the pipe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom