1911 conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been trying to get info on converting a colt 1911 45 to a 9mm and just haven't been able to get any answers. I am wanting to drop back to the 9mm for cheaper ammo to practice with and stay with the 1911 style pistol. Haven't had very good luck finding a 1911 9mm to purchase without taking out a second mortgage so was considering changing one of my colts. Anybody got any ideas or info on how to make the conversion? 1eye

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum. To answer your question:

.45 acp to 9mm, Can be done however, it is sadly not very cost effective. To do this you will need to have the frame ramp re angled to make feeding 9mm reliable, it's not impossible for a good 1911 smith to do. Then you will need to get a new top end, Slide, barrel, barrel bushing, and associated parts. along with cutting the frame you will need to replace the ejector. You will also need new mags for the 9mm.

Conversly:

If you have a Colt in 38 super then, you only need a new barrel, barrel bushing, and 9mm mags. while the super ejector is longer than the 9mm ejector it will work fine.

Hope that answers your questions.

Springfield makes a 9mm that I think sells around $700. I have seen 9mm 1911's at gunshows in the $700-900 range. If you want a genuine Colt your right, It can easily hit $1200 pretty quick. I've herd rumors that Rock Island may be introducing one in the next year but I wouldn't hold my breath. They build one however it hasn't been imported into the US yet. They introduced a commander size at the 2008 Shot show, but no one has seen one since.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that it would be a little extensive to change the colt. I wish taurus and some others would just build a model in 9mm and make things a little more user friendly. 1eye

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why not buy a 22 conversion upper, they are readily available and around $300-400 and you dont have to ruin a gun. doesent get much cheaper than a 22, i bought one i figure i can shoot for a couple of hours for less than $5.

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback. What got me started looking at the conversion was the difficulty getting reloading supplies for the last year but that problem is beginning to lighten up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom