1911 deep cleaning... loads of pic's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
simple green is basically strong soap... yes you can do the same job with solvents. but solvents are much harder on your skin.

it's really important to drench in breakfree immediately after drying. simple green will deep clean metal, so a protective film is needed afterwards.

strong alkaline solutions should not be used for aluminum frame guns.
aluminum reacts strongly to alkaline (base), but tolerates most acids.

steel is all but immune to alkaline, but reactive to most acids. some like nitric acids will etch deeply into steel, but bounce off of aluminum.

most stainless steels are much less reactive to acids in general.
salts energizes activity .. this is why carrying CCW next to skin will accelerate corrosion.

Wow...nice But isn't Simple Green highly corrosive? We used to use it in the Navy to clean parts of our jets, until they told us that...lol

Scott_In_OKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My technique from a post I made a couple of years ago...

I use the Simple Green method on my Ar's and Glocks. Disassemble completely, spray on a 50/50 solution of Simple Green and water, scrub with a toothbrush (bore brush for the barrel), rinse with hot water, blow dry, reassemble and lubricate. You can make a Glock look like factory new in 10-15 minutes this way even after heavy shooting.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eeeEEEKKKKK.... if you are referring to the side tube that housing the safety retainer spring. NO way.. that's riveted on. it'd take a special fixture with a groove milled to protect side tube with a pin inside to prevent collapse, while rivet is tacked down.

front sights is staked and need to be driven out after removing expanded material.
which I may be doing soon and hopefully replacing with a trijicon front sight.

not much to be gained by taking rear sight off. wouldn't mind replacing the hollow pin with a solid one.

Gotta take off the plunger tube as well, and knock those sights out too.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My comment was pure satire :)

In the guns I have seen though the plunger tube housing is staked on just like the front sight.

Just poking at you like yeller above, all in fun.

Nice pistola, I clean my guns much the same way, but I like Mobil1 5W-30 for lube.

GT

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
337PD is what I carry... but 1911 is what I shoot

all the pieces is at first intimidating, but stay after it and it becomes second nature after few hundred times :yikes2:

I am so happy to be a wheel gun man,that 1911 would have been toast if I had to reassemble it:uhwhat:

Latest posts

Top Bottom