1911 Hammer help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so I have a Kimber on "loaner" from my dad and the hammer broke at the range this week. Not sure how since it has been taken good care of and only has ~500 rounds down it. But fact is it broke and Kimber sent me a new one. Now I'd like to see if there's someone in the Bixby (or Tulsa) area that is proficient with a 1911 that would be up for teaching me a little about these guns while replacing the hammer. Any takers?

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so I have a Kimber on "loaner" from my dad and the hammer broke at the range this week. Not sure how since it has been taken good care of and only has ~500 rounds down it. But fact is it broke and Kimber sent me a new one. Now I'd like to see if there's someone in the Bixby (or Tulsa) area that is proficient with a 1911 that would be up for teaching me a little about these guns while replacing the hammer. Any takers?

I can't believe Kimber sent you a hammer to replace a broken one. A hammer has to be "fitted" to work properly and to be safe. If it is less than a year old, I'd send it back to Kimber and make them fix it. If you don't want to send it back I am sure someone from your area that knows how to install one properly will chime in here soon.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take it to the Inola swap meet next week.
I'm sure 1 of the guys there will be more than happy to help you with it. and it will be the excuse you need to go.
if you haven't heard about it , look at the top of the "general discussions" forum 6/28/09

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can install the hammer and check the function of the gun, it may or may not have to be fit. Obviously for optimal function there might be some fitting of the hammer to the sear.

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's over a year old but has had gentle use with less than 500 rounds down it. The first thing the customer service lady asked was if I'd been changing the recoil spring every 6-700 rounds...no, not there yet. I haven't been to OPS in a month or so, now I have a good reason.
[Broken External Image]

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly with some careful grinding you could smooth that out and have a bob'd hammer. It will still work fine with what is there. Or you can get a new one, and make it like new. Interesting break, I've never even heard of that one before.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looking at picture = the light and dark areas would make one think it may have come from the factory pre-cracked??

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kimber hammers are MIM parts, (along with quite a few other MIM parts in them). That's one reason I don't like them. I had to replace a mag catch on one I had because the lug sheared off.

If it were my gun, I'd replace the hammer with a good one, like an Ed Brown or Wilson part. I'd change a few other parts while I was at it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom