1911 Purchase decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lost wax casting is a very good process when done properly. Is it as good as forged? Probably not in all cases, but I'd bet that those that will turn up their nose at a "cast steel" framed 1911 wouldn't blink an eye at carrying an aluminum lightweight commander which is far inferior in strength and longevity. And to pile on a little more, Ruger has made the lost wax casting process an artform, they do cast gun parts for just about every company selling a cast gun since they are the very best at it. Okay not really piling on or singling anybody out, I'm just putting the info out there for the masses. :drunk2:

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lost wax casting is a very good process when done properly. Is it as good as forged? Probably not in all cases, but I'd bet that those that will turn up their nose at a "cast steel" framed 1911 wouldn't blink an eye at carrying an aluminum lightweight commander which is far inferior in strength and longevity. And to pile on a little more, Ruger has made the lost wax casting process an artform, they do cast gun parts for just about every company selling a cast gun since they are the very best at it. Okay not really piling on or singling anybody out, I'm just putting the info out there for the masses. :drunk2:
Well I'm pretty familiar with Pine Tree Casting corporation the subsidiary of Ruger and the myriad of lost wax parts they provide to industry. However I don't run cast parts in my motors and not gonna do it on my 1911's just old fashioned :-) http://www.ruger.com/casting/index.html?r=y

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So Kimbers, fine guns that they are and all, with that Schwartz Safety thing and FLGR that they use in a lot of their guns, isn't an insult of sorts to the legacy of JMB? I say, my good man, I do believe the Ruger, cast frame and all, is more what the Master had in mind when he designed the pistol way back in the day. I own one Kimber, the Micro .380. It may look like a mini 1911,but a peek inside shows you it is radically different. Regardless, it is your money, so choose wisely, but please, set aside your worries of cast frames...to me, it's more a decision of whether one were to pick all steel, or the LW aluminum job. But hark! With the budget you have set aside, if you can somehow bring yourself to bear to carry and shoot a cast frame gun, you could get both variants of the excellent Ruger SR1911; a steel one AND a lightweight Aluminum one too, and still have some funds for boolets to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if youre one of those guys, why even bother asking and wasting our time?, just post a pic of the colt when you get it

Wasting our time? Wasting our time you say? On the contrary, this kind of discussion is perfect for OSA; we have many very knowledgeable members here who are happy to chime in with their two cents to help this fella make a smart decision. I suspect you may have some knowledge to share; why not share it and help this guy make a good decision?

www.curmudgeons-r-us.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom