1911!! - quest for the first pistol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other thing you need to really think about with the 1911 is the thumb safety.

My personal feeling on the 1911s is if your going to carry one or use it for HD, you need to practice with it enough to have muscle memory to turn off the safety.

Nothing would be worse than having to draw it and forget to switch the safety off.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another you might want to look at and shoot is the Browning HP. Similar in funtion to the 1911, but in 9MM so you can shoot it more often.
[Broken External Image]

msanders

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldnt carry anything but a 1911! But thats just my personal opinion. It all comes down to what feels the best for you, and what fits your needs the most. Dont just settle for something, especially for a CC weapon. I would much rather save my money and buy something that fits, and meets the needs than to settle on something. And the ambi thumb safety on a 1911 is very easy to use.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with msanders. Buy what works for you. Save up for longer.

I bought and sold and handled a bunch of guns before I came to settle with what I have now. (WC1911) I would have saved a lot of money had I just foregone all those losses and bought it first. Then again, I wouldn't now know just how perfect my current CCW really is had I not gone through that long process.

Stay clear of the High Point. It would just be a waste of money in the long run. If you want something cheap, buy a .38 revolver. (cheap as in cost not as in quality)

No need to have a separate home defense gun and a CCW gun. My CCW is my home defense gun. I carry it with me during the day and have it next to me at night. No need to spend $500-600 on a whole other gun that is just going to sit there. Buy 1 defense gun. Train with it. Shoot it. Become fully proficient with it. Too often we get the bug and start collecting these things. You would do well to save up for the gun you really want, and then go out and buy that one gun. Don't buy any more until you are fully proficient with that one. Spend money on ammo and training.

In the meantime, buy a .22 pistol. There is no better way to learn the basics of pistol shooting. .22lr is super cheap and will help you work on your trigger control, shooting stance, etc. I would suggest either the Browning Buckmark or the Ruger Mark II or III or 22/45. The 22 plinker should be your first purchase IMO.

Good luck and happy hunting! :)

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ldp4570 - The Browning HP looks like a full size 1911. How is it different? What do they cost generally?

B

Compaired to the 1911 series she is somewhat smaller and thinner, doublestack mag, but still thin through the grips, doesn't have the grip safety, but does have the thumb safety and magazine safety. Prices are all across the board, but most are way under the 1K mark. They are sweet to shoot, and almost all are extreamly accurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom