This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim240sx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone first of all. Ok so this might sound close to the spartan thread. I'm wanting to buy my 1st 1911. Wanting to stay under $1000 if possible. Really like the kimbers, but I also hear bad stuff about them too. Don't really plan on doing any customizing. This is a list of my wants on it. #5 and 6 are not musts, just likes. Also whats your guys opinion on aluminum frames?

#1 Full size frame 5"
#2 Front strap checkering or grooving
#3 Beavertail
#4 beveled mag well
#5 night sights
#6 stainless

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone first of all. Ok so this might sound close to the spartan thread. I'm wanting to buy my 1st 1911. Wanting to stay under $1000 if possible. Really like the kimbers, but I also hear bad stuff about them too. Don't really plan on doing any customizing. This is a list of my wants on it. #5 and 6 are not musts, just likes. Also whats your guys opinion on aluminum frames?

#1 Full size frame 5"
#2 Front strap checkering or grooving
#3 Beavertail
#4 beveled mag well
#5 night sights
#6 stainless

Probably gonna have to stick with Kimber if all those are deal breakers. Personally, I'd recommend the Colt XSE or a USED Sprinfield TRP.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The PT1911 has had a host of small parts issues. Including safeties breaking or literally falling out of the gun, ejector posts shearing off in the frame, and the little lawyer lock on the hammer has turned a few into single shots. The gun just isn't well put together at it's given price point, which is now creeping up near $650 in some cases.

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The PT1911 has had a host of small parts issues. Including safeties breaking or literally falling out of the gun, ejector posts shearing off in the frame, and the little lawyer lock on the hammer has turned a few into single shots. The gun just isn't well put together at it's given price point, which is now creeping up near $650 in some cases.

wow...glad you told me this...mine might fail some time in the next 1000 rounds...
lol sorry, I kid...

seriously I have the PT 1911 and yes the price is creeping up...which is about the only thing that makes me sad, it'll be harder for me to purchase a second one. I've got near the 2k mark into the one I have now and pretty much no problems at all. I will say the blueing on the base model I have leaves something to be desired but other than that I can't really find anything I don't like about it...

with that in mind I would definately reccomend at least looking at one to the OP.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wow...glad you told me this...mine might fail some time in the next 1000 rounds...
lol sorry, I kid...

seriously I have the PT 1911 and yes the price is creeping up...which is about the only thing that makes me sad, it'll be harder for me to purchase a second one. I've got near the 2k mark into the one I have now and pretty much no problems at all. I will say the blueing on the base model I have leaves something to be desired but other than that I can't really find anything I don't like about it...

with that in mind I would definately reccomend at least looking at one to the OP.

That's great, some work and some don't. I'm just saying that their use of cheap parts and poor fitting allow for much more error. That and I think having a hammer lock on a 1911 is rediculous. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom