1st ar build??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, I have always been a bolt gun guy. I shoot for fun and hunt most seasons. I'm fixing to start build an AR for my predator hunting gun. I going to start with a spikes tactical lower. I want an upper with forward assist for sure. A 16" barrel in something decently accurate 1-9 twist is what I'm leaning towards. Fixed buttstock wither solid or skeleton. Want to stay light and decently accurate. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Trying to stay around $800 total without mags or scope. Flattop build. Thanks in advance.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure here... you're looking for advice on components? Specifics on brands or parts to buy? Sounds like you have a decent grasp on what you want.

I'd start at PSA, they have some great build kit prices, or buy an assembled upper if you like. Or browse around FBT's site and see what they've got, their prices are right in line with most of what you'll find online.

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More looking for good parts to build a decently accurate hunting rigs as far as peoples preference. Is the dmps lower parts kit a decent was to start or is there something better that's not3 times more

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
LPKs are LPKs for the most part. Unless you're wanting a match-grade trigger or something, the standard one will work fine for you.

Focus on comfort, light weight, durability and functionality if your primary purpose is as a hunting rifle. Pencil barrel, lightweight handguard, maybe even one of the lightweight lowers like MagTactical? 16" barrel should be plenty good to reach out several hundred yards, although personally I like the 1:8 or 1:7 twist just for the reputed ability to stabilize heavier bullets out to longer ranges. Cost difference is pretty minimal in the longrun. No DOWNside at all to the faster twist except the barrels are a bit more expensive. Most anything you get from Spike's, RRA, PSA or a number of other mainstream manufacturers will be perfectly fine for your purposes, it sounds like. I'm a big fan of longer free-float handguards on a low profile gas block, no front post sight.

Flip ups work fine, and an optic should alleviate the need for much.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A build is the best way to get exactly what you want and you should be able to keep it under $800 fairly easy. There are also some good rifles out there in that range. The S&W optics ready gun that FBT has at $819 looks like a deal. Add optics and you're in business.

If you don't have the lower already, but still want to build, FBT also posted a deal on Anderson lowers here yesterday. For the most part, lowers are pretty much the same, as well as LPK's. If you're not satisfied with the trigger in your LPK, you can always upgrade it later. FBT, PSA, and BCM usually have some good deals on uppers. Check out Aim Surplus too.

There is also a lot of discussion about twist rates. I shoot 62 grain ammo out of 16" 1:9 barrels and it works fine. Never tried anything heavier than 62 gr. though. I suspect (but don't really know for sure, so take it with a grain of salt) that the need for a faster twist is due more to the lost velocity from shorter barrels than anything else. Don't most bolt guns in .223 with 20" or 22" barrels have a 1:9 or slower twist?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is also a lot of discussion about twist rates. I shoot 62 grain ammo out of 16" 1:9 barrels and it works fine. Never tried anything heavier than 62 gr. though. I suspect (but don't really know for sure, so take it with a grain of salt) that the need for a faster twist is due more to the lost velocity from shorter barrels than anything else. Don't most bolt guns in .223 with 20" or 22" barrels have a 1:9 or slower twist?

My Wilson 24" barrel is a 1:8.

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a lower and lower parts kits today. I went with a spikes tactical. Now I'm trying to decide on a stripped upper. Want a spikes but they look to be out of stock everywhere

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LPKs are LPKs for the most part. Unless you're wanting a match-grade trigger or something, the standard one will work fine for you.

I will disagree with you on the LPK's. Having a DPMS kit side by side with a Palmetto, Daniel Defense or 'higher' tier kit, you can see and feel a difference in materials used.

While you can feel and see the difference, I won't go so far as to say the DPMS kit is unreliable, but there is a quality difference.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will disagree with you on the LPK's. Having a DPMS kit side by side with a Palmetto, Daniel Defense or 'higher' tier kit, you can see and feel a difference in materials used.

While you can feel and see the difference, I won't go so far as to say the DPMS kit is unreliable, but there is a quality difference.

+1...
I picked up a lower and lower parts kits today. I went with a spikes tactical. Now I'm trying to decide on a stripped upper. Want a spikes but they look to be out of stock everywhere

Try joeboboutfitters

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're wanting to pick up solid shooter, I've had excellent success with my upper from ar15sport.com. I've done business with them twice. Had both orders within a week. they have a 16" complete upper with bcg and charge handle for $550. my upper came with an LMT barrel, cero forge upper receiver and colt M-16 style bolt carrier and M4 feed ramps.

Locally, try Sooner State Pawn, those guys kick butt and are a pleasure to do with! For the first build, I'd recommend either having a mentor to help headspace, or buy a completed upper. At the least, a barrelled upper.

Just my .02

Latest posts

Top Bottom