1st attempt at refinishing ak furniture

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fedexguy82

Here is a stock set that I had gotten from Don over at Franson that i am going to try to refinish and put on my maadi. it had the original thumbhole stock and wasnt very comfy to shoot. I havent done any word working in probably 10 years. anyways ill keep the pics updated as i go. Thanks

Before
i262.photobucket.com_albums_ii83_dobeben0_2012_03_12143423.jpg

F

fedexguy82

after the clear coat was stripped and sanded...
i262.photobucket.com_albums_ii83_dobeben0_2012_03_12184404.jpg

and here is after staining with red oak stain and 1st coat of clear. not quite the red i was going for, but not bad. will try again with another set. thanks for looking
i262.photobucket.com_albums_ii83_dobeben0_2012_03_12184522.jpg

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me...I'm a huge fan of linseed oil for the clear coat though. A lot more time intesive, but they sure do shine when you finish the coats up. I take it you did some sort of chemical combo to help strip the original finish off?

F

fedexguy82

thanks guys for the compliments!!! i think im gonna keep this set. :D im using cabot poly gloss. ill have to try the linseed oil on my dad's stock set. as far as getting all the crud off to begin with with yeah i cant remember the name of it but it was a pink colored goop that i would coat, let sit, wipe off, repeat, etc... then i sanded the remainder off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom