1st encounter with a police officer while armed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where does it come from? So when he calls the police to report something, is that not official? He's voluntarily volunteered as a witness to the wreck, so is that not official means to advise an Officer that he's packing heat? Eh, again, what do I know. Obviously nothing.

The SDA Law Book. Maybe you should check it out. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2011.pdf
There is no such thing as "Official Contact" in the SDA Law

The only time you are required to notify according to the SDA Law is during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop.

Or see my post above.

But what do I know. I just know how to read

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where does it come from? So when he calls the police to report something, is that not official? He's voluntarily volunteered as a witness to the wreck, so is that not official means to advise an Officer that he's packing heat? Eh, again, what do I know. Obviously nothing.

You're missing the point. But what do I know.

Where is the "official contact" you speak of coming from in the law?

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have encountered LEO while armed every single day ... there is this one officer who takes it upon himself to disarm me every time I see him ... should I be concerned?? (Ok, Ok, Ok, I guess GC doesn't count, huh?)

But I have been pulled over a few times :lookaroun since I got my license. All the other officers I have met have done the following:

1. Good for you! More people should carry. You do practice, right??

2. What do you carry? What's that in your seat over there (it was a Glock I had just bought)? Ohh you have a Colt Gold Cup?? Well, I know I probably shouldn't but do you mind if I fondle it a bit?? (I swear we stood outside our cars and talked guns and played show and tell for a good 1/2 hour-45 minutes.)

3. OK, well then I'll make a deal with ya. You don't shoot me and I won't shoot you. *wink and a grin*

Thank you and have a nice day.
# 3 is just too funny i would sure be glad he winked and grinned

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop. No person shall be required to identify himself or herself as a concealed handgun licensee when no handgun is in the person’s possession or in any vehicle in which the person is driving or is a passenger.

He was asked to wait and agreed to do so. Sounds like he was "detained" to me.

chhcope

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anytime I have been "officially contacted" by a police officer, it has seemed to be a lot like being detained. I don't think it is a good idea to just walk away from a police officer if he is trying to talk to you....

But I was not aware that it was only required during a traffic stop, arrest, or while being detained. Thanks for sharing that. I guess I don't know where I got the official contact bit from.

I just put myself in their shoes, if I think I would appreciate knowing, I'll most likely tell the officer.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see how that verbiage can lead to arguments.

Your an armed by-stander. The officer looks you in the eye, then tells you, "nuttin' to see here young fella, move along". You have been "officially contacted" and your moving along. Should the letter of the law compel you to disclose to that officer that you are, indeed, lawfully armed?

Law shools take our money to think up gray areas to argue about...just sayin'

chhcope

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can see how my verbiage can lead to arguments, I'll clear it up right now. I do not intend to argue, or lead anyone to argue. I hope this post will correct the inappropriate verbiage. It was not intended! I am a newcomer and probably know less than most of the posters here. I appreciate the posts!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can see how my verbiage can lead to arguments, I'll clear it up right now. I do not intend to argue, or lead anyone to argue. I hope this post will correct the inappropriate verbiage. It was not intended! I am a newcomer and probably know less than most of the posters here. I appreciate the posts!

Hey... We beat this around all the time at OSA.

Your in QT getting coffee and a cop tells you the raspberry Danish is to die for.... That's not official contact. Of course, you can get giddy like a school girl and whip your SDA card out.

If ya want to....... Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom