2011 NYC Taxi Ford Crown Victoria: Regular Car Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fascinating video if you have 30 minutes to watch. Everything you didn't know about the classic yellow cab.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GC7, yep thanks for giving us a heads up that this might be one of those 30 minute "waste of time" items that sucks us in, keeps our attention, and gives us some insight into something very different to enjoy.

Yep, have seen lots of shots of NYC on TV of taxis driving around like traffic in rush hour in Tulsa. Interesting the drivers have to buy into the "medallion" pool to buy a slot to have a job.

Prob early 60's remember going to an Otasco store in Tulsa where my dad bought tires. There was a display of a tire that was supposed to have 100K miles on it from an NYC Taxi cab. I was old enough to think about it must have been from a year with a lot of rain or something, or they must have driven different than my dad who had a heavy foot in his 55 Chevy V8. haha.

I also had a friends dad growing up north of AA in a little community called Mingo who purchase a car most everyone thought it was a Plymouth, but it really was a retired Checker Cab. He took a can of black paint and a brush and adjusted it's color. They drove it for many years, it was always a comfortable reliable vehicle.

Thanks for posting, seems it is a kinda a different world there in NYC, glad I live in Oklahoma.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool video.
There was a widow woman living next to our farm that had one of the checker cab airport limo's with 4 doors on each side.
She said it still ran but it was only driven by her deceased husband. Never knew what happened to that vehicle after she passed away.
She was an interesting character with quite the history.

Latest posts

Top Bottom