I've never had so much trouble buying a car before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been trying for over a week now to buy a new truck. I'm not exactly sure how many vehicles I've purchased from dealerships, but it's somewhere in the range of 15-20. Typically, the experiences are as bad as I choose to make them because I love to negotiate. For some reason I find pleasure in all the tension and discomfort. Well karma seems to be paying me back for all the trouble I've been to dealers in the past.

This time is different. I'm not trying to negotiate. I have nothing to trade in. I'm not financing anything. I'm just trying to buy a truck as advertised. It seems to be impossible. The dealers will list the MSRP. Then they will list the price they are willing to sell it for after all discounts and rebates. The prices are itemized on the websites with all the things you "may" qualify for. I qualify for nothing. I am asking for nothing. They all have a *dealership name* discount. When you hover your cursor over the little "1" by that discount, it says all customers qualify for this. I ask to pay that price plus their doc fee. Impossible.

I tried to buy in Midwest City. You must pay for a clear bra (that absolutely looks like garbage covering nearly half the hood and fenders), interior protectant (scam) and something else equally as worthless. I'd pay more to not have the clear bra. I asked to buy one in transit before they put that crap on there. Nope, goes on all vehicles. It's just a way to get some extra money on the backend. Funny thing is, it wasn't even that great of a deal. Truck was ~3k more than several other places without the extras. Next....

I drove to Baton Rouge. Probably the second lowest advertised price within 500 mile radius. I walked in last Tuesday when it was raining. Only customer in the building (and probably for the day). Picked out what I wanted and was quoted a price. Told them I'd come in the next morning with everything they asked for and to test drive it. They added in ~$1k in fees, including $250 for Etch (scam). I told them I wasn't paying $250 for Etch and I'd be willing to wait for another truck in transit that they hadn't spent the $10 on for Etch. Nope. Next...

I left south Louisiana on Thursday night (early) and spent the night in DFW just so I could try to buy a truck Friday morning. I went to a dealer in Fort Worth first thing Friday morning. Drive the truck. Take the salesman over to my truck where I have my laptop already open with the exact truck on their website. Told him the trouble I've been having and asked if I could just pay the price advertised and their doc fee. He says yes. When we are filling out paperwork, he leaves and comes back and asks if I have someone with a TX DL to sign for the truck (it's a company truck). Sure, I have probably 30 employees in TX. He asked if they are a signer for the company in the state of TX. Well hell no they aren't. Salesman says he can't sell me the truck unless I have someone with a TX DL that is a registered signer for the company. Really? We've probably bought 75 vehicles this year throughout several different states, probably 20 of those in TX. I personally picked up an F250 last month in Arlington. It was all done via Docusign and the money wired. We buy vehicles where we need them. How about we just write down all the numbers and then we'll let someone else smarter than you figure this out? So he writes down the deal and adds $1899 for window tint and locking lug nuts. It comes with all the windows tinted from the factory except the front 2. So it's $100 in tint and $40 in lug nuts. I told him I'd take one in transit so I didn't have to pay that. Nope. Next...

Monday I tried Ferguson in Norman. Hover cursor over the Ferguson discount and it says everyone qualifies. I said I'll take it for the advertised price and $599 doc fee. They tell me it will be an additional $2k because I'm not trading anything in. The "everyone qualifies" discount includes $2k trade assistance. It wasn't a good price to begin with. It was just convenient. Now it's a terrible price. Next...

Monday night I messaged a dealer in St. Louis. They called me at 8:02 A.M. on Tuesday. For the past 2 days I've been working with the dumbest human I've ever spoken to. This guy is so dumb, I actually think the dealer is getting some kind of tax break to employ him. He hasn't been able to get any emails from me because he can't tell me his correct email address. He sent me a text and misspelled his own name. I finally ask if there is someone else I can email and I get another salesmen's email. I realize they idiot I'm talking to has been giving me the wrong email because he doesn't know the difference between a period and an underscore. I'm now 2 full business days in and haven't seen anything in writing for him yet. He asked me to put $500 down with my personal card to hold it and he'd refund it when we wire the money. Let's look past the fact they are the largest volume dealer for this brand in the nation and they have probably 8 of these on the lot. I told him I needed something in writing showing what I'm buying and how much I'm paying. He said he was working on it (for 2 days). I told him if he could get me something in writing, I'd just wire ALL the money. Dumbass.

I got so tired of waiting on the St. Louis dumbass, I called Springfield, MO this afternoon. Give the guy the stock number, asked for price, told him I'd take it. Started paperwork with this guy all within 30 minutes of the initial phone call. Send him all the information so he can work on it. He calls back and asks if I have a signer for the company in Missouri. They don't do Docusign. They need the person paying to physically be there. So you don't ship? Yes. But a person buying over the internet that wants a vehicle shipped, has to physically show up? Yes. So all my hopes are back with the dumbass in St. Louis.

I never thought it would be this hard to buy a truck with no trade in, cash and just trying to pay an advertised price without all the backend scams. Don't let them tell you the economy is bad. They have no problem sitting on these things.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wtf that’s terrible man. I won’t even buy used vehicles from dealerships anymore after the last few run ins. Car salesmen and dealerships are roughly on the same level of scum as politicians, con artists, and woman beaters in my book.

Animated GIF

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my truck last Dec at Ferguson in Noman, had a great price on the truck, no trade (mine was totaled)
I litterally walked out twice and left when they kept adding "ITEMS" incl doc fees. They worked for a week to get to allow something.
Finally I said look, here's my TFCU cashiers check, I left it on his desk, I said my wife and I are going to eat at Charleston's if you want the sale the last number on the sales form will match the check when we get back. Low and behold, took me literally 20 min to sign paper work and we where done after lunch.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of truck are you trying to buy?

When we bought our car I had to research to find dealerships that don’t do all that shady stuff.

We found ours in Colorado. Try Colorado.
A black on black GMC Sierra Denali. Denali's in either black or white are a dime a dozen.

My company is in the southeast only. OK/TX is our west border and we go east as high as south Indiana and Kentucky over to the Carolinas and down to Florida. We aren't even in Missouri yet, but I drive through there on the way to Kentucky. I guess I could ship from CO, but it's easier to pickup from a state I travel through.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My ex-SIL's mother wanted a new Range Rover. Yes, she's loaded and was paying cash. The dealer in OKC had what she wanted, which was hard to get, but damn near refused to sell it to her for cash. They went around and around and around and she asked them "Am I really going to have to drive to Dallas? Because I'm driving to Dallas in about 2 minutes". They concocted some garbage affidavit for her to sign saying she wouldn't resell it within a year. That was the hangup, they thought she was gonna turn it for a profit. :rolleyes2

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wtf that’s terrible man. I won’t even buy used vehicles from dealerships anymore after the last few run ins. Car salesmen and dealerships are roughly on the same level of scum as politicians, con artists, and woman beaters in my book.

Animated GIF
That is horribly disturbing on SO many levels.😫 ETA: The gif ... The GIF is disturbing ... 🤐

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Chevy dealer in BA tried to take a rebate back two weeks after I purchased a truck.
The sales manager called me and told me they needed an extra 1500 because they couldn’t qualify me for one of the rebates they offered and told me I would qualify for. He asked how I wanted to pay the 1500 and that I could use my credit card. I laughed and said I’d be back with the truck after work to return it and get my money back. The language in the contract clearly states, in mice sized print, that if the price changes for any reason on the sale of the truck the customer could return the vehicle for a refund, and I told the sales manager that’s what I was going to do.

After three more calls, escalating up the food chain, the dealer apologized and said that they would just eat the 1500. I asked for a document stating they wouldn’t continue to harass me about their mistake. They guaranteed that wouldn’t happen and promised the letter wasn’t necessary.

I was going to pay cash but got a lower otd price if I financed through the dealer, so I paid a large amount down and financed the rest. Financing saved me 2500 and I paid it off soon after the purchase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom