How much below MSRP should one expect to buy a new Pick-up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the problem was if you sold it there was nothing to replace it with that wasn't way over priced. I had the same situation
I had 3 other pickups and didn’t need the HD aspect of a 3/4 ton diesel. Actually really don’t need it now anymore either. But just decided to hang on to in case I do need it down the road. Pretty much the same place.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have purchased 2 brand new vehicles in my life, first was after I discharged from the Marines, I had a little savings and a used Oldsmobile, I bought a brand new GMC, AM radio no A/C, standard trans. borrowed from local bank but I don't remember how much I paid. 2nd in 1978 wife totaled her Cutlass and we decided to get a Honda Accord. Dealer quoted a price and I tried to pay less, he said that's the price if you don't buy it someone else will by this afternoon.
I drive a '04 F-150 that runs good, looks like crap and I'm thinking of getting a new one. So how much should I expect to pay (%) below MSRP?
I used to know that, but have forgotten. I think it was 6.5% below sticker? We bought a new 2018 Grand Chorkee, Latitude, for $35,000, with a sticker of 42,000.00. That is 6% off $42,000.00, if I haven't forgotten how to do that as well? The sticker we as over $42,000.00 so the 6.5 % is likely correct. Things have gone crazy sense then, and from what I hear the dealers/ manufactures, are having trouble selling these HIGH DOLLAR vehicles, so who knows? The dealer that we bought the Grand Chorkee from tries to buy it back every time we have it service. garage kept, with 32,000 miles on a 5 year old vehicle! I'm afraid to price it!!

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw an article about a new $20k pickup.
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
It should live up to the makers name.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
4 runners are outdated. Get terrible mpg with a 5 speed trans. Prices on them are dropping fast.
Where are you living? 4Runners hold their value better than any domestic suv after the wranglers. And what is considered terrible mpg? Our 2017 gets 18 average and that’s with the 4.0 270hp v6.

Based on the prices I’ve been seeing, we could sell ours for more than we paid for it new.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The v6 still has a timing belt. Needs an update and a 6 speed trans. Pretty sure they are going to ruin it, not fix it.
Where are you getting the information? The 5th Gen 4Runner 4.0L V6 has a timing chain, not a belt.
And I will mention, the 3.5L V6 in the Tacomas have a timing chain as well.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 5th gen 4Runner does have a timing chain. Yes it an underpowered platform with a transmission that lacks a couple extra gears, and the mileage isn’t great.

That being said, they’re the oldest design on the market still being produced that I’m aware of, and a Japanese built body on frame 4x4 at that. They are likely the most reliable new vehicle you can buy at any dealer, and they’re an old enough design to not be plagued with some of the issues newer designs have. They do rust if you live further north, and their paint isn’t as tough as some manufacturers, but if you had to pick something to safely and reliably last you as long as possible, that’s the platform to buy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom