I've never had so much trouble buying a car before.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only place I found that doesn't have a doc fee, is Eskridge Lexus. Wife's car was bought from there, and it was the best dealership experience I've ever had. We test drove her car one day, liked it, but she wanted to think on it. We go in 3 days later, grab our previous salesman:

"hey, we wanna go drive that can again"

"Ok, let me get the keys"

We drive it for 20-30 minutes, usual car sale banter about the car, how he likes his job, what we do, etc.

Come back to the dealership, wife tells me she wants it. We go to sit down in the office.

I tell the guy "I want new tires on this car before we buy, these have only half the life left or so." He goes out to talk to his boss or whatever, comes back and says "no, can't do it".

I tell him I want $2k off the price of the car (which was likely the nicest CPO I've seen for the price, which was honestly kinda low I thought). He said "I can't do $2k, but we can do $1500, if that's fair I'll go get the paperwork changed". 10 minutes later he is back, to my surprise he explains that there is no Doc fees, wife signs, we leave with her car 20 minutes later.

The whole process took 1 hour, was low pressure enough that my wife could have dealt with the process if she really wanted, and we would have paid exactly what the sticker price was, no extra BS, if I hadn't talked him down a few bucks. Honestly, I don't intend on going anywhere else for vehicles in the future.
The Lexus experience is amazing. When I was working as a contract finance manager I worked there one Saturday. Do they still have docupads in the business offices? Basically a touchscreen TV screen on the desk that does everything? Those were so cool!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used car prices are finally dropping some. I guess these dealers are realizing you can’t sell used cars for more than new. Too bad the economy and credit ratings are tanking for some.

Around 65k miles.

IMG_8135.jpeg

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking around and contacted a dealer in Little Rock and they wouldn't discount or negotiate the price because they only did that for residents... I'd have to pay full fare to get the vehicle since I'm an "outsider." I wanted a lower documentaion fee than the thieves here in Oklahoma charge at $549.00. Nearly every surrounding state is has lower doc fees than Oklahoma. By law, Oklahoma dealers can charge what they want is what I've read so it must be that the politicians are looking out for us again. I wish they'd stop looking out for us and just do their job.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve bought 2 vehicles from Fowler so far and they are by far the best to work with in my experience.
I'll second Fowler except the salesman wanted to know if I wanted to know anything about the vehicle. Crap, I've never set foot in the vehicle until the day of purchase and I didn't know what to ask about anyway.
I told Fowler what I wanted and they did as I aksed. Post Oak Toyota tried to sell me an extended warranty and I declined but the guy said he was required to got through with the sales pitch anyway so that was a one hour waste of my time. I tell them ahead of time that if I need a warranty, I don't need their car that might break down. If anything is going to fail, it will do it in the three years, 36,000 miles factory warranty. Besides, it's a Toyota.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll second Fowler except the salesman wanted to know if I wanted to know anything about the vehicle. Crap, I've never set foot in the vehicle until the day of purchase and I didn't know what to ask about anyway.
I told Fowler what I wanted and they did as I aksed. Post Oak Toyota tried to sell me an extended warranty and I declined but the guy said he was required to got through with the sales pitch anyway so that was a one hour waste of my time. I tell them ahead of time that if I need a warranty, I don't need their car that might break down. If anything is going to fail, it will do it in the three years, 36,000 miles factory warranty. Besides, it's a Toyota.
Yeah I love the extended warranty pitches. After agreeing to spend umpteen thousands on a vehicle, they spend an hour telling you how much the major components will cost when they fail. Maybe I need to rethink this whole thing...

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So for an update, my new work truck was delivered today. The deal took 7 days from initial contact to payment received and paperwork signed (Tuesday-Monday). The truck was shipped yesterday and arrived this afternoon which made the entire experience 11 days. I ended up around 11% below MSRP including doc fees. I could have picked it up for that, but I added an extended factory warranty (5yr/100k) and $1100 for shipping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom