2012 Dove Hunter Survey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What he is alluding to is that the early guns don't take steel shot well.

Yeah, I'm not putting a Japanese, pinging, barrel on that receiver. I hate the way the Japanese barrels fit and sound.

If I can't shoot the gun the way it shipped, I'll leave it in the safe.

I don't kill doves because I'm blood thirsty, and I damn sure don't kill 'em to eat 'em, although we always do. I kill doves because I love to shoot that shotgun, and I don't shoot clays.

Maybe I am bloodthirsty. :screwy:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say the latest generation of steel has much better wads designed for the steel shot as it doesn't deform in the chokes. The shot cup walls are thicker to allow them to depress while going through a choked barrell vs the early introductions.
I still wouldn't shoot any steel through a full choked early model shotgun. My fears may be unfounded, but why take a chance? Improved or modified, I don't think there would be a problem.
Its a personal call though.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say the latest generation of steel has much better wads designed for the steel shot as it doesn't deform in the chokes. The shot cup walls are thicker to allow them to depress while going through a choked barrell vs the early introductions.
I still wouldn't shoot any steel through a full choked early model shotgun. My fears may be unfounded, but why take a chance? Improved or modified, I don't think there would be a problem.
Its a personal call though.

It's got a 26" IC barrel on it, and I'm probably over worrying it, but I'm just not gonna take a chance. I've seen a popped Mod choke from shooting steel, and I just don't wanna risk it.

I really love shooting that gun, and all my Belgium Brownings. I know guys that won't pick one up, and I understand, but I love the way they feel, and they fit my eye, and I hit what I'm shooting at most of the time. They are just a joy to shoot.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have seen some 16 ga steel, thugh I'm not gonna shoot it my 16's.

.410 would be IMO a near impossibility due to the full choke.

Most everything I've ever seen regarding steel shot recommends not using a full choke, especially in older guns.

Having shot steel shot since becoming mandatory for waterfowl in 1980, I bought a 'duck gun' just for the use of steel shot. I STILL believe the whole issue is BS! and just a goobermint way to impose more regulation, add inhibitive costs and drive existing and potential hunters away.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they make us start shooting steel at doves my dove hunting days are over.

I shoot a 50's Belgium 20 at doves, and that's the only reason I go, so I can shoot that gun.

Same here. It was my grandpa's and it's the only time it comes out of the safe.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would be tough for the 16, 28, and .410 guys.

Yes sir !! A 16 ga. is my favorite dove gun ! A true 16 ga frame beretta. Light handy quick and a true joy to shoot. Second favorite is an old pietro beretta 20 that is good for early season before the wild flying boogers get educated. I detest steel shot. Although the modern tungsten loads in 12 and 10 ga are way better than the steel of before. If I am forced to shoot steel at doves ill just quit and start shooting trap. Which isn't nearly as fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom