2012 Dove Hunter Survey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I mailed the survey off this morning, I should have scanned the whole thing for everyone to see, it was pretty bizzaro. Besides the questions I posted earlier, they asked several questions about who and how much do you trust: other hunters, game biologists, GW's, environmental studies, hunting programs on TV, Hunting organizations, etc. They asked if I felt like potentially switching to steel for doves was infringing on hunters and gun owner rights,,,,,,,,,, if I thought the switch to steel for waterfowl was justified,,,,,,if the wanting to switch to steel for doves was a ploy by antihunting groups.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yes sir !! A 16 ga. is my favorite dove gun ! A true 16 ga frame beretta. Light handy quick and a true joy to shoot. Second favorite is an old pietro beretta 20 that is good for early season before the wild flying boogers get educated. I detest steel shot. Although the modern tungsten loads in 12 and 10 ga are way better than the steel of before. If I am forced to shoot steel at doves ill just quit and start shooting trap. Which isn't nearly as fun.

Funny you should mention this......................

Doves are very gentle natured birds. They do not bite or screech or cause any harm to other creatures. Doves are mellow, easy to tame & help our environment by eating seeds from weeds such as Ragweed. Doves are very lovable & cuddly creatures that enjoy personal attention and petting. A perfect pet bird for any family. It is difficult to understand why someone would want to hunt and kill such a peaceful creature.

According to the US Fish and Game and the Wildlife management institute, the mortality rate for doves in the wild is more than 58% per year for adults and 69% for juveniles. Life span in the wild is 1.5 years for adults. This is pretty sad since doves lifespan in captivity can exceed 20 years. According to their publications and research, this is indicative of hunting which is responsible for 90% of the deaths and the remaining 10% due to poisons, predators and disease.

Over 70 million doves are killed by hunters in the U.S. each year. It is this type of sanctioned murder that wiped out the entire Passenger Pigeon species in 1914. The beautiful red throated Passenger Pigeons were hunted out of existence just as the decline of the mourning doves is becoming more apparent each year.

Surely it is not a challenge to fire a gun at an innocent, trusting, sitting target and is certainly not something to brag about. There is no skill involved in killing doves. They are docile, peaceful and sedentary. They do not understand violence and do not attempt to flee until it is too late. Perhaps the hunter of Doves would find more challenge in proving their skills at a target range rather than the shame of killing innocent creatures which is neither good sportsmanship nor providing any benefit whatsoever. It is a shameful act of cowardice to kill such a gentle, harmless creature.
http://pet-doves.com/
My daughter and l found two small doves that had fallen from the nest in one our pine trees, we watched them for a few hours and there was still an adult caring for them while on the ground, so we left them alone. Was researching to see how old they might be and found the "wonderful" website above!

jfansler

Marksman
Reaction score
Lead shot did really hurt the duck population and it was sportsman backed groups like DU that pushed for steel shot. If lead is doing significant harm to the dove population I am all for switching over. I would rather pay 5 bucks more and retire my ancient shot gun for a better one than not be able to hunt dove in 10 years.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely it is not a challenge to fire a gun at an innocent, trusting, sitting target and is certainly not something to brag about. There is no skill involved in killing doves.

Dang, I've been wasting shells all these years!! I never knew doves were so trusting, I guess I should have just walked up, grabbed them and popped their heads off!!

No skill involved in killing doves??? Guessing whoever wrote that has never been dove hunting!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guessing whoever wrote that has never been dove hunting!!

Thats evident.
I've read reports from real scientists using real scientific data that say that lead shot cannot hurt ducks. In fact I think I posted this on here a while back, but I'm on my phone and the search doesn't work well.
While the folks that advocated going to steel use junk science similar to global warming attempting to justify their results, or the junk science that said California Condors can die from eating lead ingested from game shot by hunters.
Somebody is in LALA land.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lead shot did really hurt the duck population and it was sportsman backed groups like DU that pushed for steel shot. If lead is doing significant harm to the dove population I am all for switching over. I would rather pay 5 bucks more and retire my ancient shot gun for a better one than not be able to hunt dove in 10 years.

God I hope you are the minority. Otherwise we are all screwed within a few generations.

schmeeking

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Survey sayyyys...Dove season is around the corner. Just about a month away. Nothing like sitting on a pond drinking (sodas) and waiting for the flybys. If regs change and we have to paintball the little guys, it'll still be fun.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Survey sayyyys...Dove season is around the corner. Just about a month away. Nothing like sitting on a pond drinking (sodas) and waiting for the flybys. If regs change and we have to paintball the little guys, it'll still be fun.

I can probably come up with some lead based paintballs!:D I'm ready, you're right, just around the corner!

Latest posts

Top Bottom