2013-2014 waterfowl success/pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the dog out this morning on a solo hunt. I admit, I haven't been able to spend much time with him, but the obedience training he has had goes out the window when we hit the lake. I lost opportunities as 2 separate groups of birds thanks to him breaking and running along the shore. I finally tied him up to my seat and forced him to lay down. The first boat ramp I tried was completely frozen up so on to plan B. I was able to launch at the second ramp and headed for a small cove. It was half frozen up so I setup on the edge of the ice and that is apparently where the birds wanted to be. Even with a dog that ruined two groups and poor shooting, I limited by 8:15 and still had birds coming in while I was picking up.
View attachment 35138

Show off the dog! I like to see the dogs more than I do the birds!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Porter and MIH! It does help to have more than one person hunting when working with the dog on those first few hunts.........said from experience, lol. He'll get the hang of it and the procedure;)

Thanks Okie. He ran off twice being a complete asshat. It's part of why I haven't taken him when I hunt with other people as he can be an embarrassment. lol

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just for you r00s7a. Didn't take any pics while we were hunting due to frustration. He didn't mind the ice and swam with me to get a bird, he just nosed it and didn't grab it. He's the redbond coonhound/lab mix we got from the pound.

20140108_140520.jpg

20140108_140534.jpg

Last edited:

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ha ha thanks r00s7a. He has a problem with grabbing the ducks. I have 2 frozen mallards I've thrown in the backyard for him a few times and if he retrieves them, it's by the bill or the foot.

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just for you r00s7a. Didn't take any pics while we were hunting due to frustration. He didn't mind the ice and swam with me to get a bird, he just nosed it and didn't grab it. He's the redbond coonhound/lab mix we got from the pound.

View attachment 35156

View attachment 35157

Is this an everyday type hunter or just a pet that will go once a year?

If you are serious one really needs to consider forced fetch by a reputable trainer. A dog is nota dog until this is done and it has been said that he will never be complete until it is finished. Behavioralists will also say a dog/owners bond will never reach potential without ff.

Based on what I have seen I will agree. Very misunderstood concept and one that is constantly overlooked.

I like others grip e at my dog for erring in retrieves to hand, playing games in returns, etc and then I realize that wout ff I and others should not expect anything less.

Anxious for retrievermans thoughts here.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like others gripe at my dog for erring in retrieves to hand, playing games in returns, etc and then I realize that wout ff I and others should not expect anything less.

Anxious for retrievermans thoughts here.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone out with other dog owners and had my dog, and their dogs not do the perfect retrieve, point, caste, etc.
No dog other than a field trial dog is perfect.

My Britt is a pheasant trailing/hunting beast, but won't retrieve, and if another dog goes on a false point on a mouse, might run through the point knowing its bad.
Probably pisses off the other dog owner, but I think all of our dogs aren't perfect. We have to accept them as so.

I used to get so embarrassed when my dog didn't act like a field champion, but I've got over it now.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis,

I had a cocker that was awesome running birds for me when I was a young kid with my bb gun. Way I look at it, as long as they get the job done, and are a good companion, who cares what "perfect" is. Though I am not a breeder or a competitor, so I guess I can get away with caring little about hoe much money she would make me she was bred out or running trials.

I miss the spaniel and next time I "need" a dog after my current two worthless mutts pass :D , I'm looking at another cocker or a brittany (which I know some argue is not a spaniel).

Latest posts

Top Bottom