2014 Javelina Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went with my brothers, dad, a cousin and some friends to Ft Stockton, Texas for our 5th annual javelina hunt. We had a great time and the game was very plentiful this year. Six of us got into camp about lunch time on Tuesday. Both my brothers and my dad tagged out that evening. One brother with a longbow, the other with a .45 cal hawken and dad used my .300 blackout. Me and the guy I was hunting with both stalked in on a group and got one each that evening and then we both got another each out of a herd the next morning. I used a Matthews Monster Chill bow and my friend was using a Matthews Helium. The cousin was the only one of the group not tagged out and he took one with a .58 cal muzzleloader Wed evening and another with my blackout. The other 2 guys got into camp Wed night and both tagged out on Thursday with recurves. We had a great time hunting together and tried some predator calling at night and during the day but never had any luck. The cousin did miss a bobcat at 65 yrds with his .58 cal mz on Wed morning but that was the only predator we saw. Here is a group pic of the original 6 that got to camp on Tuesday with our javis.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very cool! I love hunting in that part of the country. They do in depth predator control in that part of the state might be why you didn't do much good calling. Congrats on a good hunt!

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats ! Sounds like a great time and you all made it an ever cooler adventure using some primitive weapons to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my brother Dwayne, from Muskogee, stalking and then shooting one of his javelinas. Our cousin Bart, from Gracemont, stayed back in an elevated blind to photograph him. Awesome pictures. One of the guys had a gopro on his bow and got some good footage but I don't have a copy yet.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He was shooting a .45 cal Thompson-Center Hawken. It was his wife's grandmother's gun and she had killed quite a few deer with it. Dwayne's 10 yr old son shot a buck with it this year too and then carried it around at Halloween dressed as a mountain man. Someone asked my brother if that was a real gun and he said, "Yes...he killed a deer with it this morning!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom