2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
23 doe/fawn coming from various directions in the draw this morning, all in groups of five or so. Could see several rubs, 3 scrapes within 20 yards of me. After the doe in the pic went into the trees, two bucks hooked it up pretty good for about 5 seconds or so east of me then silence. Couple of the does ran back towards me, then went back in to the trees. Since the doe were headed towards the bucks, I figured I wouldn't see the bucks. About 10 minutes later 5 doe/fawn came back towards me, looking behind them. Waited another 45 minutes and nothing ever followed them but more doe. Seen a forky working a licking branch on the way out.

If you've never sit in a draw full of Osage Orange trees in early November, it's really noisy..........constant fruit falling and leaves falling are just about as loud, true test of nerves!!. :)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20141101_083359_zpsodbowm7j.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
three of us hunted this morning. everyone saw a small buck by itself. does were nowhere to be found?

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just picked up a deer from the processor in Shawnee. Busiest they have been all year with 18 deer checked in so far. Nothing big though the guy said. So maybe the big boys haven't started moving that much yet?

t_rae

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rub and scrape sign NE of OKC earlier this week. I wont be able to get out until next weekend, so hopefully it will be game on with my Mathews bow by then!

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hunted this morning in wagoner county. Had some small bucks wander in early then had a mature buck bust out chasing a doe. She wasn't having any of it. She ran him right under my tree at 25 yards but I couldn't get them to stop. Cold weather seems to have things moving.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had two does in the food plot. Right at dark a buck came in, and did a little dance that I'd never seen before. Kind of looked like a bee had bit him on the butt, but after a couple of rotations, he headed right for the does. They ran off, and he kinda started after them, but decided the fresh wheat was better. Nothing special. He lives on.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
18 doe/fawns this evening, they started appearing out of the grass about 5pm and moving into the cut milo and beans. About 6:45 the same buck that I passed on Monday evening appeared just to my east............walked up to the fence, accessed all the doe in the fields, hopped the fence, watched the does for less than a minute, then hopped back over the fence. He spent a few seconds sniffing a licking branch, then disappeared into the grass again. His tarsals were still white from what I tell.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Made the drive from BA down 412 to 35 up to 11 into Grant Co. this morning. Didn't see a single dead deer on the way. Saw 15 does together in the wheat tonight and not a single buck in sight.
I laugh every time I see a "rut report"
It happens the same time every year. Like clock work....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made the drive from BA down 412 to 35 up to 11 into Grant Co. this morning. Didn't see a single dead deer on the way. Saw 15 does together in the wheat tonight and not a single buck in sight.
I laugh every time I see a "rut report"
It happens the same time every year. Like clock work....
Drive down 60 to Ponca City. Keep your eye on the clumps of grass that the county hasn't mowed. There is a buck in every one.

I didn't laugh.

They are in pre-rut. Its all been covered in the thread. Its interesting to get reports of how they progress from pre-rut into the magical time for hunting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom