2014 Whitetailed Deer Field Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friday night Dr. Kroll had a reception for all of the sponsors at his home. Jeff Williams, Grove, Okla, who manufactures "NutraDeer feed, BRAMCO, Fairview, Okla manufactures of an all in one seed planter, Buck Forage Oats producers, John, Morgan, and Jake Butler were there and many other sponsors. I was the guest of BFO. There were attendees from all over the country including a pair from Oklahoma that asked me for some help on their new acquisition.

The amount of information that Dr. Kroll conveyed to the group was amazing. He discussed forest management, nutrition, aging deer, brassica toxicity, electricity to manage or protect crops so they can mature sufficiently to allow browsing. New attractant products that are coming on the market this summer for hunters. Watch for "Chestnut Magic" Attractant, it will be in stores this summer at Walmart BPS etc. It works!!! I met the individual who developed it and why it works so well. I, also happen to pick up a couple of bags for Huckleberry 75 and myself. Chestnuts do not contain tannins, so they are not bitter. 100 pounds of chestnuts were piled next to 100 pounds of acorns and the deer were allowed to eat what they wanted. The deer had NEVER been exposed to chestnuts in Texas. The deer wiped out the chestnuts and did not touch the acorns. I can attest the chestnuts are delicious. I ate a fresh raw nut and wanted more. You will see a claim that deer prefer them 100 to 1 over acorns, believe it. Chestnuts have 2 times the protein and 4 times the carbohydrates than acorns without the bitter tasting tannins. The chestnuts growers across the country have to fence their orchards in order to harvest any nuts. The owner of Dunstan chestnuts told me the day after they completed the fencing of their orchard their daily harvest doubled. The nuts mature in October and November and begin to fall. The nuts contain 40% carbohydrates and 30% fat.

One of the tidbits of information about nutrition was that poor nutrition equals early antler drop. This is one of the reasons why Roosta has been collecting drops so early.

Fertilize your honeysuckle @ 100#/acre with 16-16-12 for increased production in the Springtime, then urea nitrogen during the summer months.

Bushnell trophy cameras are the best on the markets. I listened to a man discuss cameras and he makes remote control devices that can turn on your feeders, hog lights from a 1/2 mile+ He also can remotely drop your pig trap doors when sufficient pigs are in the trap and you are sitting in your blind watching. He had a few more neat products.

To kill smooth bark trees, spray 20% REMEDY with 80% diesel on the bottom 15" of trunk.

To determine fawn recruitment in early summer put a pile of corn in front of your trail camera for 14 days and see how many does and fawns show up on the camera. Now do the same procedure in late August and early September. You need a minimum of 40% recruitment of fawns/ year. This data will provide you with buck/doe ratios and fawn/doe ratios.

Plant iron and clay peas or red ripper cowpeas in the summer for your deer, BUT you need to put an electric fence up if you want anything to survive past the 3 leaf stage as the deer will wipe them out. The more pounds you plant the faster they will be wiped out because the more attention you will be drawing to the field. Darn it!! Been there and have been wiped out consistently. Gonna probably buy the special electric fence to protect my field.

Different seed suppliers were discussed such as Biologics, WINA etc. and their claims.

Dr Stephan Harrison PHD from Louisiana State University discussed various oat varieties. He oversees the research on thousands of varieties of oats at the University research station. We were able to see the best varieties and the worst that are marketed for deer and the reasons why. Enlightening.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wish I had known you were in town. I live just north of Nacogdoches. I assume the whole seminar was outside since the SFA coliseum is the only building in town big enough to accommodate Kroll's ego.

I was a forestry major my first year of college in 1987, and I had a class under Dr Kroll. He may know his stuff, but he was the biggest egomaniac I have ever been around. I am not very tolerant of that kind of person.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You got some good info, Deerslayer.

The reason Roos see's antler drops WAY before we do in NC Ok makes sense.

Another thing you talked about to me was about how what works in one place, won't work in another.

It may only be a few miles, but there is a difference in the soil, rainfall, etc.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had good info. I have some additional info to share with you that you can use in your area. Dr. Kroll emailed me some info yesterday that I was looking for that may be of interest to you. He is evaluating some stuff that I gave him. I also met some of the vendors that were at the Field Day and was able to see some new products that have not hit the market yet. I will give you a call today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom