2020 Dove Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend said he saw hardly any birds on the cut sunflower field this evening. I am hoping he was just being nice since I was unable to be out there to hunt this evening.
You must have better friends than I do. Mine would tell me they saw 1000 birds and killed 7 limits just to make me envious.:rollingla

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last Friday morning I had a back yard full of white wings. They were all over my song bird feeders in huge groups and filled the dead cottonwoods around my pond. They were too numerous to count. Then sometime that afternoon, poof, they were gone.

I don't think I've ever seen a white wing this far east. I certainly never had them around my place. I figured the cold fronts that rolled in last week from the south west pushed them in here from W TX or NM.

Most of the birds we killed opening weekend were large migratory birds, with a few exceptions. I killed a couple that were so tiny I had to look at them a long time to make sure they were dove and that I hadn't killed a songbird. Little bitty things. All flying with dove, and were clearly dove when I pulled the trigger, then when I picked them up I thought, "oh 5hit, I killed a baby mockingbird". Those were the smallest dove I've ever killed, and I've been shooting dove for a long, long time. It's been a weird year.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't hunted dove in several years, so I don't really think about what I'm seeing or how common they area. I didn't realize the white wings were uncommon around here. I've been seeing the Eurasian collared doves for quite some time, and have seen some white wings this year. I hadn't thought about it, but this could be the first year I've seen a white wing in my neighborhood.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't hunted dove in several years, so I don't really think about what I'm seeing or how common they area. I didn't realize the white wings were uncommon around here. I've been seeing the Eurasian collared doves for quite some time, and have seen some white wings this year. I hadn't thought about it, but this could be the first year I've seen a white wing in my neighborhood.

I still haven't seen one, but I know some were shot in Major county this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom