2024 Deer Season Stories/Pics/Etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to put skulls on a big fire ant mound, and those little suckers would NEVER leave anything attached to any part of it! Best "skull cleaners" I have ever seen!
I have cleaned a beaver skull by leaving it on a big red ant den before. It went from being skanky rotten to white a a couple of months
Here in east TX, you have to pick a fire ant mound that isn’t in red dirt, or it’ll stain the skull.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here in east TX, you have to pick a fire ant mound that isn’t in red dirt, or it’ll stain the skull.
I’ve been boiling and cleaning deer and pig skulls since the early 90’s, and my goal is to eventually euro mount a 170-180 class whitetail. The biggest I’ve done so far is a 160 incher.
1728526009064.gif

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a friend that names all his bucks and expect me to know which one is which when he’s telling me about them. Personally, I think “naming” your deer is pretty ridiculous, but I’ve been calling this year’s buck “lottery”. I’ve always wanted to kill a buck with a third mainbeam, and I’ve always wanted to kill a buck with a droptine. Killing a buck with a droptine off the third mainbeam is like winning the lottery for me.

That being said, I’ll be sucking it up and forking out the money for a shoulder mount on him. :rolleyes2

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a friend that names all his bucks and expect me to know which one is which when he’s telling me about them. Personally, I think “naming” your deer is pretty ridiculous, but I’ve been calling this year’s buck “lottery”. I’ve always wanted to kill a buck with a third mainbeam, and I’ve always wanted to kill a buck with a droptine. Killing a buck with a droptine off the third mainbeam is like winning the lottery for me.

That being said, I’ll be sucking it up and forking out the money for a shoulder mount on him. :rolleyes2
It’s a helluva deer. I’m happy you won your lottery and I wouldn’t blame anyone for shoulder mounting it.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer boilèd skull mount if it is a cool rack. Finding someone who can do flesh eating insect skull cleaning is a plus
I have some mounts but the price is getting high. And due to the price, I have done the Euro's Mounts for many of mine and my kids game. One thing cool about the Euro Mount is it's something you hand to somebody, whether it's sitting on the table or hanging on the wall. You get it down and hand it to them to hold, feel and examine. I'm not discrediting the art and the beauty of the shoulder or full body mount. They are beautiful to view. But the Euro lends a real tangibility to it and lights the eyes of the beholder in a more reachable way.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

At least you saved on the broadhead.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used to put skulls on a big fire ant mound, and those little suckers would NEVER leave anything attached to any part of it! Best "skull cleaners" I have ever seen!
I never realized that fire ants are the size of piss ants.
A TX friend says that if something happens to a critter in his yard, the fire ants clean it up in hours.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never realized that fire ants are the size of piss ants.
A TX friend says that if something happens to a critter in his yard, the fire ants clean it up in hours.
FYI trapping coons with dog proof coon traps has been tough here in east TX, because fire ants will mound up around the trap to eat whatever you put in it for bait. Evidently, they really like peanut butter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom