.22 Bolt Action Reccomendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a bolt action 22 rifle. The criteria are that it have iron sights and not be single shot. So far, I'm interested in the offerings from Savage and CZ. The CZs look like really nice, but they're a bit of a stretch for by current budget.

What other rifles should I be considering?

Thanks.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big fan of the Savage Mk II series! There are a variety of models and options to suit your budget or desired feature set. The Accu-trigger system works well and can be adjusted without special tools.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. You guys are fast!

I'm looking for something to teach my kids with and we already have a 10/22. I like the idea of a bolt action because it will translate to my older rifles.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no experience with the CZ rifles but I just picked up a Savage MK II and am definitely impressed with the rifle that you get for the cost. A standard MK II F (without accutrigger) can be had at Walmart for $127. The same model with the adjustable two stage trigger will run $177...one with the trigger and heavy barrel (scope bases only - no iron sights) is a little over $230. Thanks to Glocktogo I found the MK II FV-SR model in the photo below which comes with the accutrigger, fluted and threaded heavy barrel, one piece weaver mount, and tactical bolt handle for $252 plus tax locally. Not sure if any other manufacturer can offer the types of features that Savage does for the cost.

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_SavageFV_SR003edited.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a fine looking rifle. I like the shorter heavy barrel. It doesn't look like you can get it with irons, though. The 10/22 is scoped, so I'm looking for irons.

I'm definitely leaning toward a Savage. Now I just need to decide which one. It's nice having this type of dilemma.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might find a good deal on a CZ trainer.

It will have the beechwood stock instead of the turkish walnut stock and might be nearly 100 dollars cheaper.

That's what I would look for.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a fine looking rifle. I like the shorter heavy barrel. It doesn't look like you can get it with irons, though. The 10/22 is scoped, so I'm looking for irons.

I'm definitely leaning toward a Savage. Now I just need to decide which one. It's nice having this type of dilemma.

If you are looking at a Savage MK II with irons there are pretty much two models to narrow it down to...the MK II F with accutrigger and the MK II FVT which has a heavy barrel, the accutrigger, and is set up with Williams rear aperature and front globe target sights. The sights are similar to the Lyman and Redfield sights used on older match rifles which just makes it plain cool. Walmart's pricing on the F was $177 and if I remember correctly the FVT was $329. From what I understand the F model is an extremely accurate rifle out of the box with the iron sights and standard barrel, so you definitely don't have to spent alot to get a nice accurate plinker. Definitely be sure that if you do end up going the route of a Savage to pick up one with the accutrigger. The standard trigger is possibly the worst trigger that I have ever felt - and all the rifles I own are 60-90 old milsurp bolt rifles with the exception of my 10/22. The accutrigger is by far one the best triggers that I have ever felt - possibly even better than the Timney trigger in my 1903 match rifle. Here's a few pics of each model...

MK II F

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_markiif_1.png

MK II FVT

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_markiifvt.png

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_FVT2.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_FVT4.jpg

ai181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_FVT3.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Initially, I was considering a CZ 452. Based upon feedback and additional research, the Savage MK II-F is looking pretty nice. It has great features for the price point and I haven't seen many complaints in the reliability department. I'd like to put it in wood at some point, though.

Thanks again for all the input. Hopefully I'll be able to pick something up in the next week or so.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and the excellent pics. The MK II FVT definitely looks slick, but I think it mights be a bit complex for a beginner.

If you are looking at a Savage MK II with irons there are pretty much two models to narrow it down to...the MK II F with accutrigger and the MK II FVT which has a heavy barrel, the accutrigger, and is set up with Williams rear aperature and front globe target sights. The sights are similar to the Lyman and Redfield sights used on older match rifles which just makes it plain cool. Walmart's pricing on the F was $177 and if I remember correctly the FVT was $329. From what I understand the F model is an extremely accurate rifle out of the box with the iron sights and standard barrel, so you definitely don't have to spent alot to get a nice accurate plinker. Definitely be sure that if you do end up going the route of a Savage to pick up one with the accutrigger. The standard trigger is possibly the worst trigger that I have ever felt - and all the rifles I own are 60-90 old milsurp bolt rifles with the exception of my 10/22. The accutrigger is by far one the best triggers that I have ever felt - possibly even better than the Timney trigger in my 1903 match rifle. Here's a few pics of each model...

MK II F

MK II FVT

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom