22 Mag or 17HMR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I've only been turkey hunting twice in my life and never saw a tom but when hunting with a caliber like .22wmr do you make head shots or body shots? I was thinking that the advantage of a rifle would be head shots but I've never seen anyone hunt turkeys with anything but a shotgun or bow.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never taken one with a rifle but it's only legal in the fall when they will be hard to get close to. Unless it was within 25 yards, I was looking center shot to get a kill but minimize meat loss. I'm basing this off of my limited knowledge of turkey anatomy!

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I've never hunted a turkey in my life, so I'm no expert. When I grew up here in southern Okla, there were none unless you went truly deep in the blackjack woods. However, my Grandpa used to tell stories about the really old days, when they would have turkey shots which consisted of turkeys in a cage with slots so they could stick their heads up into the open air. The idea was for the contestants to shoot them in the head, no shotguns allowed. I doubt seriously if scopes would have been allowed either, if they were even available.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty detailed comparison here:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

Summary and conclusion

The .17 HMR and .22 WMR are both useful varmint and small game cartridges. Ammunition and rifles for both are widely distributed and commonly available. Recoil and muzzle blast are low for both, particularly from a rifle. They are good cartridges for use in semi-populated areas.

.17 HMR ammunition is generally more expensive than .22 WMR ammunition, but the difference will not be an unbearable burden to most small game and varmint hunters. For inexpensive practice at the range, neither is in the price class of the .22 Long Rifle.

Used with proper ammunition, the .17 HMR has an advantage in velocity, trajectory, and accuracy. The .22 WMR has an advantage in energy, bullet frontal area, sectional density, and consequently killing power.

After researching and writing this article, I have reached a conclusion about these two cartridges. I would favor the .22 WMR for shooting small game and varmints within 100 yards, and the .17 HMR if shots often run much beyond that distance.

Hope it helps.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I've only been turkey hunting twice in my life and never saw a tom but when hunting with a caliber like .22wmr do you make head shots or body shots? I was thinking that the advantage of a rifle would be head shots but I've never seen anyone hunt turkeys with anything but a shotgun or bow.

Advantage of the rifle is for being able to take a bird at a greater distance...............222, .223, .22-250.....and it's just like shooting deer at 100y+.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great article. Makes me wonder what a 17hmr would do in a home protection gun. Ultra fast, fragments on hard surfaces violent expansion.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! I had never even considered the distance factor because I've only ever seen them taken at close range. I think if I ever have the opportunity to go turkey hunting again I'll still use a shotgun being a relative noob to turkey hunting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom