.22 snap cap alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had picked up some blue Azoom .22 LR snap caps dummy rounds a while back and was disappointed that they aren't meant for (repeated) dry firing.

I bought some Hillman Ribbed Plastic Anchors (4-6-8 x 7/8") and they did about the same thing but for much cheaper. I got 100 for about 5 bucks. They feed from a magazine, chamber correctly, and eject in my GSG 1911-22 and Ruger SR22 pistols.

Anyone else use something similar?

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had picked up some blue Azoom .22 LR snap caps dummy rounds a while back and was disappointed that they aren't meant for (repeated) dry firing.

I bought some Hillman Ribbed Plastic Anchors (4-6-8 x 7/8") and they did about the same thing but for much cheaper. I got 100 for about 5 bucks. They feed from a magazine, chamber correctly, and eject in my GSG 1911-22 and Ruger SR22 pistols.

Anyone else use something similar?

I don.t know the brand, but I use the yellow hollow wall anchors from the hardware store. I use them for function testing after disasembly of the firearm. They don't work well with the extracters in my Ruger products, so I don't use them for more than one or two snaps.

warmep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't. I practice rimfire with live fire.

Makes sense, if I wanted to do some dry fire practice I would just use a centerfire, but my point was that the dummy rounds are just not going to take many shots before being useless and there's only 6 in a pack.

I don't like having my 22s (esp bolt actions) cocked without something in the chamber to protect the firing pin when I am done shooting. This allows me to pull the trigger and leave the anchor in there and not have to worry about someone losing it or thinking it's a live round. I also use them for function testing after cleaning and occasionally if someone wants to dry fire the weapon.

May even be able to load them in with live rounds for malfunction drills, but I haven't tested that with these.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use those anchor blank cartridges from lowes and home depot to kill black windows and fiddle backs. They are like weak shotgun shells with burnt power at the "shot" but the percussion does all the work on the spiders. It's nice, you don't have to get too close so they won't run away and it doesn't damage anything at the right distance. Plus if they are hiding deep in a crack they are still toast. Just FYI...

Latest posts

Top Bottom