.223 round for hogs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going on a hog hunt, and I'm looking for a good performing round. I've read good things about the Barnes VORTX. How about any of the hog speciality ammo (Remington Hog Hammer, Winchester Razr Back HT), just fancy marketing or do they perform well?

Not interested in hearing any "Don't use .223 on a hog", it's what I have and what I'm taking.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will take accuracy over bullet 9 out of 10 times. However, in the .223 you don't want varmint bullets. A good soft point designed for deer sized game will be fine. (Some are for light game and varmints) Barnes do have good bullets. A butt or gut shot deer even with the best .223 bullet will not work on a hog over a 100 pounds. Shoot a few brands of soft point and choose the most accurate and sight in accordingly. Aim behind the ear on broadside hogs.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rem Hog Hammer IS Barnes VORTX + $$$

I have used the Barnes VORTX on hogs, deer, yotes, and anything else I want to shoot with a .223. I LOVE IT. FMJ for plinking rounds but serious hunting; VORTX is my go to.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say from personal experience but that Winchester Razrback HT has an very good reputation, I bought a box or two in .44 mag or .45 Colt can't remember which. I'd say bullet placement is #1 and quality ammo #2.

donokc

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my buddy shot two last year with Black Hill, one of them was close to 300lbs at around 175yd or so, it only ran about 25 yards, i personally use Hornandy soft point and having pretty good luck with it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say bullet placement is #1 and quality ammo #2.

TRUE for ANY caliber used on ANY game. Many hogs and deer have been taken with rimfires, not recommended or legal in some instances, but it has happened. By the same note, using a .458 WM will not make up for poor shot placement.

Jonsrt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot several hogs with barnes 62gr TSX. Shot placement in the head, neck and shoulder all resulted in a flip and twitch. Shot placement is the big deal unless you're using larger caliber.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the 55gr Barnes VORTX did the trick. Will post pic on monday. Right behind the shoulder and 4 fell DRT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom