.22LR pistol for plinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I put 67 rounds through my newly acquired Single Six yesterday. My only two concerns in buying it were accuracy (since it has a barrel sized for both 22LR and 22MAG) and also the unload/reload speed through the loading gate. I was happy to find that neither was any sort of issue.

I was able to unload and load it fast enough for me, not as quick as a magazine, but no big problem at all.

I also thought accuracy was very good with cheap 22lr and accuracy was excellent with 22mag and also excellent for a few of the cheap 22lr rounds I ran through my Waltz die to "crush" them up to .225. No problem here either.

I took advantage of its ability to shoot any power level without malfunction and shot ammunition from 22mag 40gr down to Aquila Colibri 20gr (300 fps). I even tried a Winchester 22 shotshell which also worked great.

Overall I am very pleased with it. It was a blast to shoot and I'm looking forward to teaching my son how to shoot it in a few years and my wife if I can get her to the range. I plan to use it to get started at the range so I can get a little practice in with the 3 cent rounds before I start shooting centerfire.

I also think the Buck Mark is an excellent 22 as well, I had one and sold it (probably shouldn't have!). It is a completely difference experience from the Single Six, the Buck Mark would rap off 10 accurate rounds as quick as you can pull the trigger (although on occasion it would jam depending on ammo selection). The Single Six will shoot anything without any sort of mechanical issue, but you have to pull the hammer back each time because it is single action. I think the sights on the Buck Mark are a little bigger and easier to use. I don't see how anyone could go wrong with either.

Good luck,

Alan

azmrb

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Alan,

I'm sure you'll like that new SS. I read all the posts at rimfirecentral about the SS convertible not being as accurate with the .22lr as with the magnum because the bore is sized for the magnum but honestly mine shoots either about the same.

All my guns shoot better than my eyes are anyway.

Now you need to find some proper grips for that blued SS.
I'm thinking something in white with a design in the grips.

ETA: I think the single six convertible is kind a do it all handgun.
It shoots not only .22lr and .22mag but it can handle shorts, longs and the colibris.
I guess if it was a SHTF scenario you could probably use those nail gun cartridges to drive something down the barrel.

It's like having more than 1 gun.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure you'll like that new SS. I read all the posts at rimfirecentral about the SS convertible not being as accurate with the .22lr as with the magnum because the bore is sized for the magnum but honestly mine shoots either about the same.

Thanks, my first range day with it was pure enjoyment so I think it is going to be a good one for me. The 22lr certainly shot accurate enough for my skill level, I had no complaints, but I did notice the 22mag seemed a bit more accurate. Oddly I actually like the black plastic grips on it. I like how thin they are and how the grip fits me with them. On a heavier recoiling gun those plastic grips will tear your hands up, but not on the single six.

Thanks,

Alan

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my previous response I forgot to mention the S&W Model 617. I truly enjoy shooting steel and plinking with my 10 shot Model 617 with 4 inch barrel.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a couple weeks ago I picked up a Heritage Rough Rider because I had the itch to get myself a .22 revolver for plinking. I have no real complaints about that gun, it's a nice little shooter.

However, I'm a S&W fan at heart, so I had to go out and get myself a Model 617. Ten shots and this gun looks and feels like a real gun, the Rough Rider looks & feels like a toy by comparison. I love this gun. I've already put about 60 rounds through it, and I'll go out to shoot it some more just as soon as it stops raining.

ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o293_stingrayg4_Guns_617_6.jpg

You can't beat a big ole revolver IMO. :)

-S

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned most of them. The only one I've held onto over the years has been the little buckmark.
My current fav handsdown is the 617. The more I shoot it, the better it gets.
Somewhere between 5-10,000 rounds thru it, I'm going for a million.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My current fav handsdown is the 617. The more I shoot it, the better it gets.
Somewhere between 5-10,000 rounds thru it, I'm going for a million.

I have no doubt that the 617 will be able to handle that number if you manage to get your round count that high. :)

I need to round up a nice set of wood grips for mine, so I can take that ugly rubber boot off of it.

-S

Latest posts

Top Bottom