22LR round misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was at the gun club the other day and dropped a 22LR round (Federal) on the concrete at the plinking range and the thing went off. My friends and I were SHOCKED. Fortunately, none of us were hit, but it could have been fatal.

I routinely have to eject cartridges from my Buckmark (see the other thread) and now I'm nervous about doing so on concrete. Is this a common thing or very very rare?

Thanks

B

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never seen it done, but it's totally possible if it lands on the rim with enough force. But it's not really that dangerous. The bullet won't go very far or have much energy behind it with the casing not being supported by the barrel's chamber and having a breech behind it. Could get some shrapnel though.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never seen it done, but it's totally possible if it lands on the rim with enough force. But it's not really that dangerous. The bullet won't go very far or have much energy behind it with the casing not being supported by the barrel's chamber and having a breech behind it. Could get some shrapnel though.

Ditto.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
***DISCLAIMER - Highly NOT recommended***

When I was a kid, I used to shoot the primers on .38's with a pellet gun. The cases usually only went a few feet and the bullet inches.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my younger days I had the bright idea of glueing primers into the end of arrows and shooting them at concrete things. Never could get one to go off. I also shot a lot of .22 long rifles out of slingshots at the same concrete things, never could get them to go off either. I guess I was just lucky that nothing bad ever happened.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Mythbusters did a segment on using a .22 shell as a fuse in a pickup. They'd jacked up the current till the round went off and poor ole Buster caught the round in the inner thigh. Didn't penetrate very far, if I recall, dangerous but not deadly unless it'd hit you in the eye and go on in to the brain or something.

Still never have heard of dropping a .22 and it going off, and surely not a Rem GB!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom