2nd rattler this year

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If my wife see's a snake there is nothing but showers of sparks and broken concrete after she gets the shovel after them. You don't mess with her dogs. LOL.

I've had to gather them up while being administered a beating so she won't kill them. (Not really, but it makes for a good story) Almost true though! :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If my wife see's a snake there is nothing but showers of sparks and broken concrete after she gets the shovel after them. You don't mess with her dogs. LOL.

I've had to gather them up while being administered a beating so she won't kill them. (Not really, but it makes for a good story) Almost true though! :D

Lol, I came home one time and noticed a shovel laying in the yard..........walked over to pick it up, and seen the hoe........and a little farther two empty shotgun shells and 5' rat snake missing it's head and shot in half. Guess the shovel and hoe didn't work for her, lol.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30-something years ago, I lived in West Texas and worked with a guy who'd just bought a new home in "the country". (Actually, just a mile or so outside of a city.) He and the missus were a little spooked by the wildlife that they kept running into. One day in his kitchen, he had the back door open and witnessed a (probably harmless) snake stick his head in the door for a look around. His first reaction wasn't too bad. He kicked the door closed and pinned the snake in the closed door. He second reaction was to grab a 12 gauge and shoot the snake. And, he got him on the first shot. In addition to killing the snake, he also killed an expensive oak door, door trim, door threshold, floor tile, sheet rock and a section of wallpaper that could not be replaced.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they're venomous and close to the house or pets, snakes (and spiders) get a pass from me. I don't go so far as to play with them, though--I'm not afraid of them, I'm just not fond of the pain that comes with getting bit.

Pygmy rattlers have an unusual coloring, don't they? I killed one on my deck a couple of summers ago, not long after the big brush/forest fire in east Noble/southeast Norman (a few weeks later, there was a news story about a rash of bites by them as they'd been driven out of the crosstimbers by the fire). I'd have let it go, but it couldn't figure out how to get over the retaining wall and off the deck, and my dog isn't smart enough to leave it alone, so I dispatched it with a .22 Colibri. I got a few pictures of it, but I'd have to fire up my laptop to find them...

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
pigmies are bad as they are small. they seem to hunt on paths with no / little cover with them blending in on the edges. my eye sight is very poor and they are hard to see. a larger snake can be seen more easily and i do not walk up on them. a large rattler warns you.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMG_2128.jpgIMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2128.jpgIMG_2128.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom