300 Blackout/30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a 1/2 plate, not near as hard as AR500, but close to AR400. One hole at the top for hanging it. All the other splatter looking hits are a 300 blackout at 65 yards. The hole is from a 30-06 at 130 yards.

I know nothing about 300 blackout, but am learning. It was a surprise to me at the difference. I don't want a 300 blackout anymore. If I go to something, it will be a AR10 maybe, and I don't need that in reality.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What type of bullets? The blackout splatters look like my .280 with 140gr ballistic tips going 2970, whereas a Barnes will punch right through.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the 300 BO has some utility, but in a very limited role. As an accurate suppressed subsonic round out to a hundred or so yards that reliably cycles a short barrel ar and has better penetration of "meat" bearing targets than a pistol cartridge in the same role.
Outside of that scenario, it just seems to be lacking and not worth the effort.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Subsonic or Supersonic loads on the blackout?

I am currently testing 245 gr coated lead round flat nose subsonic rounds.

Personally I think the 300 AAC is a great multipurpose round. You can run heavy subsonic rounds to 100 maybe 150 yards. Switch to supersonic and run them out to 300 to 400 yards.

Another advantage for me, is I can stock .308 bullets for reloading and load 300 aac or 308 rounds.

Now to get my can =)

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just talked to son in law, the 300 ammo was PNW Weapons 147gr FMJ, the 30-06 was 165gr ballistic tip Nosler hand loaded. Again, I know nothing and am learning about the 300, a couple guys that shoot with us has built a couple of them, and my son in law is waiting on his BCG to finish his.

We will hit the plate again soon with some 300 Hornady 150gr Ballistic Tip and see what it does at 65 yards and at a 130 yards.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are in very different classes and don't have much in common, other than caliber. The .30-06 is a high powered rifle round that requires a long action. The .300 BO is an intermediate powered rifle round that fits in a .223 length action, and was designed specifically with suppressed subsonic performance out of the AR-15 in mind. Yes, the .30-06 offers a much flatter trajectory, much longer effective range, and much greater penetration and ft./lbs. of energy on target... but then again you don't see a lot of 7" barreled suppressed semi or full auto carbines that weigh 6 lbs. chambered for .30-06!

Either one will kill any of our State's wildlife with not too much trouble if you pick a good bullet and put it in the right place.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into the 300BO and it did not seem to fit me either.
243 penetration test hot some steel with the 87gr Vmax I bet you remember this thread.
Keep us posted on the BO results. and shoot it for accuracy at 130 and see what you get

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 totally different use cases.

30-06 needs a long action and is full powered for shots that hit hard over long distances.

.300 blackout is meant to bring 7.62x39 caliber and performance to AR rifles that functions reliably. The bonus is that they optimized this round for shorter barrels (10-12" barrels are optimum for this caliber) and to run subsonics reliably suppressed with the same gas system (no adjustable gas blocks needed) and redesigned the bullets to have better performance and flatter trajectory than just your standard .308 round reloaded into a .300 blackout case.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hand loading the 300, as there is not much info out there. Anyone know of some reputable reloading data for the 300?

Wonder if the Military will adopt the round? Thoughts to that happening or not? Plus's or minus's?

Latest posts

Top Bottom