300 Blackout/30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got an accurate supersonic load with 125gr ballistic tips, pm if you want it. Taken one doe with it, close shot, pass through, she didn't go very far.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300blktalk.com is a forum dedicated to the round. It used to be moderated by the creator of the round, but not sure if he's still active. Their reloading subforums has tons of info.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The subsonic load I am working on:

11.5 grs or 12 grs 1680
245 gr powder coated bullet Missouri Bullet Company
No chrono on them yet (need to buy one)
Bolt holds open on last shot.
Rounds cycle.
Having FTE (upgraded the extractor spring, insert, and added to O ring and will test again today

Accuracy test will come later

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The subsonic load I am working on:

11.5 grs or 12 grs 1680
245 gr powder coated bullet Missouri Bullet Company
No chrono on them yet (need to buy one)
Bolt holds open on last shot.
Rounds cycle.
Having FTE (upgraded the extractor spring, insert, and added to O ring and will test again today

Accuracy test will come later

Cool. What mfg did you get your parts from to build yours?

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm like Mr Glock on this one. I don't know much about the round. People do say that it has it's place but it seems like a fad to me. At a buck or more per round and given its performance I just don't see the need for such a round given what is out there and already available. Probably made the guy who developed the 300BO a ton of money but not much else. Just another way to sell the people another rifle they don't already have.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm like Mr Glock on this one. I don't know much about the round. People do say that it has it's place but it seems like a fad to me. At a buck or more per round and given its performance I just don't see the need for such a round given what is out there and already available. Probably made the guy who developed the 300BO a ton of money but not much else. Just another way to sell the people another rifle they don't already have.

Then everyone should just have a 12g, a .30-30, .22LR, and a .45-70. :) Boring!!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently done quite a bit of research on the .300BO just because there was so much conflicting information out there. What I learned was it's a great option for shooting subsonic suppressed at close ranges, such as sneaking up and night whacking wild pigs. Shooting supersonic you can push it out to 200 yards but most shooters agreed that staying under 100-150 is where the caliber earns it's stripes, beyond that it drops like a rock and makes accuracy difficult at best. I do not, nor will not buy this "it's good out to 300-400 yards" stuff. It was comments like that that sent me looking for the truth and they didn't pan out. Yes, you can lob them out almost as far as you please but that's not what we are talking about. So if you don't already have an AR15 platform caliber that can easily take deer sized critters inside 150 yards then the Blackout is a definite option. If you, or plan to, shoot subsonic suppressed then going with the .300 makes great sense and is a great option. The problem is, unless you also shoot subsonic suppressed, there are much better choices.

If you don't plan to shoot subsonic suppressed and want an AR platform hog/deer/fun/long range rifle then consider the 6.5 Grendel/.264LBC. This is my very favorite AR15 platform caliber because it is so incredibly versatile and extremely accurate with plenty of power coupled with light recoil for feral hogs, deer and has even been used successfully multiple times for elk. It's a great hunting caliber that can also do double duty as a very accurate long range rifle. It gained fame when it had a significant increase in energy at 1000 yards over the .308. Personally I don't care about all that because it just causes people to start arguing but what can't be argued is the 6.5 Grendel's incredible performance both inside typical hunting distances and far beyond them.

The 6.8 SPC (depending on version) has similar performance the 6.5 Grendel inside 400 yards but after that the Grendel excels. If you don't plan to ever shoot long range then the 6.8 is also an excellent choice for hogs/deer sized critters.

Then there are the big bores...the Big 3 - the .450 Bushmaster, .458 Socom and the big boy...the .50 Beowulf. All three are capable of hunting any North American large game. You'll hear arguments from fanboys disrespecting whichever of the ones they didn't buy but they are all three very capable. I went with the .50 Beowulf simply because when you need, or just want, the biggest hammer in the toolbox you get the biggest hammer and I'm extremely glad I did. The other two may not be quite as powerful or fire as big a bullet but they are very capable for most things so should be considered as options in all fairness. These Big 3 have ranges out to 200+ yards depending on the caliber.

What I like about the AR15 platform is I can shoot my Colt LE6920 16" 5.56 which is a very accurate rifle, my 18" 6.5 Grendel (mines actually a .264LBC) which is exceptionally accurate and great for hunting and long range shooting plus my 16" .50 Beowulf which is very accurate and capable of taking down deer, elk, moose, brown bear, mammoth's without blinking....all from a lightweight AR15 platform. I do have a bolt action .30-06 but honestly there's nothing I couldn't hunt in north America with my AR15 platform rifles, pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom