300 win mag is too big!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im looking for some info... I have a howa 1500 300 win mag... Its way too much gun for the hunting I do. Kicks hard and is a very heavy gun.. I want to lighten the load abit, get something that shoots cheaper ammo for range fun and still has 2700fps+ at 2-300 yards, faster would be better. Thanks for any help you guys give.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you know some one who reloads they can work you us some lighter rounds. Say something like an 06. But you will need to shoot it to see if your gun likes it our not. Then adjust your power to the gun.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're wanting 2700fps out of a big game rifle at 2-300 yards then you probably need to step up not down. The 300 Win Mag barely does that at 200yrds with a few rounds. Why do you need such velocities?

308 or 30-06 will handle anything in North America just fine and both have a wide assortment of rounds with various levels of recoil.

Lithiumokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will be doing lots of mule deer this year far up north.. Lots of open space, very long shots and I really just dont want to be packing around such a heavy gun. Plus, I would like to shoot it more than a few times before my shoulder hurts from the kick. at about a dollar or more per trigger pull range time is kinda far and few between for this gun.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
300 Mag has a lot of reverse gear… You can either custom load your ammo or down size in gun. You may try a different recoil pad like a Limb Saver.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just step it down to 7mm-mag or 7mm-08 whichever you can handle.

Recoil pad will help, shoulder pad will help even more. Maybe you need a good muzzle break.

P.S. I am recoil sensitive and shoot anything over 100gn with a shoulder pad - yeah, I'm a sissy, but I can send 100 rounds down the range without flinching.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hah, I hunt with the exact same rifle. I love it, and I love the caliber. One thing about it every person in the woods with you for a good 5 miles knows you took a shot. I can fire about 15 rounds before my shoulder starts to hurt, thats without a recoil pad.

Try shooting 150gr bullets, definately helps tame her down.

Reaction score
Sounds like you're looking for chambering suggestions: .260 Rem, 6.5x55, and .280 Rem. Maybe 7mm-08. These are really good goldilocks rounds, as is .270 Win and a few others. Tomorrow I'm picking up my Weatherby Mark V Ultra-light in .280 Rem - cannot wait!

As for platform, sticking with the turnbolt is fine and dandy!

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hah, I hunt with the exact same rifle. I love it, and I love the caliber. One thing about it every person in the woods with you for a good 5 miles knows you took a shot. I can fire about 15 rounds before my shoulder starts to hurt, thats without a recoil pad.

Try shooting 150gr bullets, definately helps tame her down.

What he said.... I currently have some 168, 180 and 200gr bullets loaded and of course the light loaded 168's are the most user friendly. The 168's still kick harder than a .308 but it isn't bad. I have since went back to the 180's and 200 for their extra hitting power. I think you could work yourself up some loads..that wouldn't be uncomfortable.

I normally don't put more than 20 rounds through the gun at a time. I put a better recoil pad on and it helped alot. Personally, I had to kind of teach myself to shoot the .300 with the recoil.

Have you thought about a muzzle break?

Latest posts

Top Bottom