300 win mag is too big!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
HA! This thread is a joke right? If you think .300WM is bad God forbid you ever shoot or lay your eyes on the .30-378 wby. mag.

First look at the weight of your rifle? I had a 7lbs rifle that I had to put a brake on to tone it down (and before the nay sayers join in myself or others around haven't noticed much of a noise increase). Kicked pretty good. You have all types of options in the 300WM caliber

Weatherby rounds will PUNISH you. They hurt on both ends of the rifle.

I belive the OP needs to check out a BAR in 300 win mag. I shot a 338 BAR and it was a kitten.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, I just couldn't bite my lip enough to stay out of this one. I can't even believe the thought of a BIGGER cartridge and a muzzle brake was an answer for this! For mule deer? Surely not! A thought of peni$ envy comes to mind here.

Sounds like you are a perfectly good candidate for a 270 or 25-06 and never look back when it comes to mule deer.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have an idea as to how far your shots might be? I know you can never really say for sure, but if you have an idea of where you are hunting and at what range you are comfortable shooting, it might help to eliminate or suggest some other options from us arm chair shooting instructors.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i love my .264 win mag its breeze to shoot and plenty velocity down range espcially with 120gr nos but i usually hunt with 140gr and my wife can handle them :)

Yes, the 264 would be an excellent choice for what it sounds like he is planning to do. Don't hear much about it anymore, but it's a great cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom