300 win mag is too big!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I saw this thread the first thing I thought was "Three darts is tooooo much!"

Lol.

In seriousness, I had a light rifle chambered in .300WM. That thing was punishing (for me) to shoot. I bought it on a wild hair since I always wanted a .300WM rifle. It was cool for about 20 or 40 rounds. Then I just thought "What the heck am I doing with this thing?"

Honestly, if it's not fun to shoot, get rid of the thing. If you would like to keep it though, do some of the stuff others have suggested (Beef up the weight of the rifle, add muzzle break, add recoil pad, etc).

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, Im gonna cowboy up, put a ass pad on it and keep it. Besides you can never really have too much gun.

All together, that's not a bad decision as long as you don't develop bad habits from it "just because..."

People seldom hear this, but there is nothing shameful about having a soft shoulder as long as you recognize it and take steps to learn to focus through it anyway. That doesn't mean you have to like the kick! Developing a flinch is really more mental than anything.

Some guys are just sensitive to punches, but that doesn't mean they can't kick your ass.

Also, the old saying "Beware the man that just has one rifle....."

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Something else you might want to consider, if you don't already, is spending some time in the gym and at the buffet. If you you got bigger, the bullet only gets smaller...

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Sako TRG-S .300 WM that came with a spacer set-up and a thin pad. It was annoying to shoot after a box at the most. I swapped the spacer set-up for a limbsaver pad, which was a plus for me on LOP and now it is very comfortable to shoot. You can always buy the light magnum loads too. Get a Limbsaver before you get rid of the gun.+++

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handloading a duplicate of a 30-06 in a 300 mag case is dirt simple with IMR 4064 and 150gr bullets.

If you don't reload, then just buy them from
Remington: Managed-Recoil Cartridges

.300 Mag/150 - 2650, V @ 200 yds 2113; ME 2339, E @ 200 yds 1486.

.300 Mag/150 - +1.0" @ 100 yds, 0 @ 150 yds, -2.7" @ 200 yds, -7.4" @ 250 yds.

For most hunting purposes, the use of Managed-Recoil cartridges has real advantages. First and foremost, everyone shoots better with loads that kick less. And bullet placement, not cartridge power, is the most important factor in achieving quick, humane kills. Although many will not admit it, most hunters find cartridges on the order of the .270, 7mm Magnum, .308, and .30-06 somewhat intimidating to shoot. And very few shooters are really comfortable shooting a .300 Magnum (although most of them are on OKshooters :rolleyes2) .

The use of Managed-Recoil cartridges in these calibers when deer size game is the quarry will undoubtedly result in more quick kills and fewer wounded animals. Save the full power loads for when you really need them and you will very likely become a better shot and a deadlier hunter.

Then when you shoot that double-shovel caribou with the full-power 180gr 300 mag, you won't even feel it.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Handloading a duplicate of a 30-06 in a 300 mag case is dirt simple with IMR 4064 and 150gr bullets.

For most hunting purposes, the use of Managed-Recoil cartridges has real advantages. First and foremost, everyone shoots better with loads that kick less. And bullet placement, not cartridge power, is the most important factor in achieving quick, humane kills. Although many will not admit it, most hunters find cartridges on the order of the .270, 7mm Magnum, .308, and .30-06 somewhat intimidating to shoot. And very few shooters are really comfortable shooting a .300 Magnum (although most of them are on OKshooters :rolleyes2) .

The use of Managed-Recoil cartridges in these calibers when deer size game is the quarry will undoubtedly result in more quick kills and fewer wounded animals. Save the full power loads for when you really need them and you will very likely become a better shot and a deadlier hunter.

Then when you shoot that double-shovel caribou with the full-power 180gr 300 mag, you won't even feel it.

Agree.... The only thing I would change would be the type powder to IMR 4350. If you need any help PM. me.

:Heya:

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a used Savage Model 110 30-06 specifically for a low cost backup gun to my 300Wby. It's light and it kicked...bad. I only put 2 rounds through it and took it to the 'smith (Martin Custom in Shawnee) and had him brake it.
The results were unbelievable. I have the identical gun chambered in 243 and I can't tell a difference in recoil or muzzle jump between the 2. Both guns have that classic Savage hard plastic butt pad. He has rights on a unique brake that works better than anything commercial I've ever been behind. It looks tactical-ish to me, so I think it would look better on a synthetic stock.
I'll get pics up later.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5M4eNgYrs

that was Sunday...I rather enjoy shooting that beautiful rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom