300 win mag is too big!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can never have a rifle/cartridge that is too big. Too small maybe, but not too small.

a4.bp.blogspot.com__xFGTvgnqFOw_SPi8yL4BjCI_AAAAAAAAAEY_xFk06i0Zf_c_s400_commute.jpg

Uncle Bobby

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define your hunting then work back. If you only hunt whitetail then you don't need a howitzer, a well placed 243 will do it. I agree that a 270 or 30-06 will work on anything in the lower 48. Most have more than one rifle if the game varies greatly. 2700 at that distance with any knockdown power will kill on both ends!

usmc1986

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd vote for 7-08, 6.5x55 or .308.

Recoil will be less, ammo is less expensive as are components. Don't get caught up on speed for hunting. 300 yards isn't a very long distance unless your talking lever guns type of calibers. .308 in an ultra lite hunting config will push a little bit but still a little less than a .30-06.

Sold my .300 Win mag a few years back. It's overkill for the ranges and size of the animals I was hunting here in OK. I don't hunt elk enough to justify keeping it around.

I personally prefer heavy slow bullets for hunting ala .35 Rem with 200 grainers under 200 yds. Smacks deer and hogs really hard.

Reaction score

That is arguably THE ultimate long-range big game round - and there's a gentleman in the classifieds right now with one or two nice rifles for sale in this chambering. I guarantee you that it's going faster at 200 yards than a .300 Winmag, and it's going much MUCH faster at 400 yards, shooting a high-BC 150.

Latest posts

Top Bottom