.308 kick vs 30-06 kick

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on bullet weight. If you're shooting 150s the difference isn't that noticable. If you shoot 180s in the -06 the difference is more pronounced. Neither round is really a hard kicker though.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a subjective question, and you'll get subjective answers :) You'd have to standardize the shooting platform (i.e., same rifle chambered for these two cartridges) to gauge more "objectively" the differences in recoil. Otherwise, you'll get responses ranging from "MUCH softer" to "it's the other way around." For example, I've shot a M1 Garand and a lightweight .308 bolt action (I forget the make/model) back to back, and I'd give the heavier semi-auto M1 a slight edge over that particular BA rifle for extended shooting sessions. Now if it had been my Springfield M1903A3, I'd take the .308 BA any day for easier shooting. What rifle were you shooting that was chambered for 30-06?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
shoot a military bolt match a few months back with my 03 A3 dead stock.
after 100 or so rounds of 30.06 with no cushion on stock or shoulder pad.
my shoulder was feeling it and talked to me the next day.
purchased a shooting jacket with shoulder pad .. no way I'm doing that again bare.

shooting .308 in my CZ 550 bolt is quite mild compared to 03 A3 with 30.06
but the CZ has a nice soft shoulder pad too.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rifle weight, stock shape, recoil pad and action type all significantly affect felt recoil. In an apples-to-apples comparison, there isn't a much difference between the two rounds. If you find your rifle to be a bit much for you, get a better recoil pad and a good muzzle brake. You could swap to a heavier stock too. If you reload, you can download your .30-06 to .308 levels or even less.

csiedmond1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO if you take identical .308 and 30-06 made by the same manufacturer, shooting to same bullet weight through each; the recoil will be noticeably less with the .308 due to the difference in powder charges in the different case sizes...

Swine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as my grand pappy would say... "man up, nut up or shut up"... (no offense meant here).

Just something to think about also is semi auto... it will help with recoil. I'm throwing 200-225g .338 caliber pills from basically the 308 cartridge (338 federal) in an AR platform. Shooting all day (50-200rounds) with no problems and I'm a delicate man, lol.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
someone at the gun range let me shoot his M-14 ... talk about light recoil vs a bolt rifle like my 03A3. even though it's .308 vs 30.06, it's not a valid comparison.

this would be a good example of extremes in felt recoil between the two rounds.
M-14 a modern auto rifle with bolt & mass absorbing felt recoil vs 03A3 bolt rifle with nothing but mass absorbing felt recoil with no padding

Latest posts

Top Bottom