.308 Norma Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was dinking around a pawn shop a few weeks ago and came across a .308 Norma Magnum that really sparked my interest. I never heard of a .308 Norma Magnum and it appears it came out prior to the .300 Winchester Magnum. From the ballistics standpoint it comes pretty close to close to edging out the .300 Winchester Magnum. Why do you think it really never took off in the states compared to the .300 Winchester Magnum even though it appears from my research the .308 Norma Magnum came out prior?

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been hunting with my .308 Norma Mag for 30 years. It is one of my very favorite cartridges. I have taken a pick-up load deer and antelope with gun.

Why did the .300 Winchester Mag take off and the .308 Norma did not? Simple Marketing. Winchester promoted and supplied the U.S. market with guns and ammo, lots of each. Other US gunmakers followed suit.

Norma was a European maker and supplied the European market. Ammo and guns were not as readily available in this cartridge in the US as the Winchester round.

I started out with 100 rounds of new .308 Norma brass, 30 years ago. I have fully reloaded this brass once in that time. I had to reload 20 rounds this year as I ran out sighting in. Occasionally I see new brass offered, but rarely.

My rifle is a Voere Titan-KDF. I got the rifle as a sales incentive when I worked for KDF. At that time we did not send a rifle out the door unless it met the advertised accuracy standard of 5 shots under one inch at 100. This particular rifle did that and better. I have a note in my loading log of test the loads using a Sierra 165 BTSP, IMR4350 and Fed 215 primer, 3 shot group, .640.

If you want a rifle in 30 caliber Magnum class, it shouldn't be too hard to find a .300 Winchester Magnum chambered rifle. loaded ammo, brass and loading dies.

If you want a .308 Norma, you will with just a little effort be able to find a rifle. Reloading dies can be special ordered. A box of loaded ammo or empty brass, good luck,

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been hunting with my .308 Norma Mag for 30 years. It is one of my very favorite cartridges. I have taken a pick-up load deer and antelope with gun.

Why did the .300 Winchester Mag take off and the .308 Norma did not? Simple Marketing. Winchester promoted and supplied the U.S. market with guns and ammo, lots of each. Other US gunmakers followed suit.

Norma was a European maker and supplied the European market. Ammo and guns were not as readily available in this cartridge in the US as the Winchester round.

I started out with 100 rounds of new .308 Norma brass, 30 years ago. I have fully reloaded this brass once in that time. I had to reload 20 rounds this year as I ran out sighting in. Occasionally I see new brass offered, but rarely.

My rifle is a Voere Titan-KDF. I got the rifle as a sales incentive when I worked for KDF. At that time we did not send a rifle out the door unless it met the advertised accuracy standard of 5 shots under one inch at 100. This particular rifle did that and better. I have a note in my loading log of test the loads using a Sierra 165 BTSP, IMR4350 and Fed 215 primer, 3 shot group, .640.

If you want a rifle in 30 caliber Magnum class, it shouldn't be too hard to find a .300 Winchester Magnum chambered rifle. loaded ammo, brass and loading dies.

If you want a .308 Norma, you will with just a little effort be able to find a rifle. Reloading dies can be special ordered. A box of loaded ammo or empty brass, good luck,
Is that a Kleinguenther? You don't see many of those around anymore

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the mrad and in precision circles of shooters; I am told the Norma mags are outshooting the .338 lapua and win mags. Ballistics are pretty tough with Norma mags to beat

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
There's brass and dies on gunbroker right now. I helped a guy make some brass for his with .338 win mag brass a few years ago, we looked forever and couldn't find any. It wasn't a year later and he could find brass everywhere. You should go buy that rifle lol.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of, or thought about, that one in a long LONG time! I worked with a fellow (nearly fifty years ago) who had one built on a Springfield action. I could have owned it, if I had bought and traded him a NIB .270 Winchester. I should have done it, but money was very tight back then!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
In the mrad and in precision circles of shooters; I am told the Norma mags are outshooting the .338 lapua and win mags. Ballistics are pretty tough with Norma mags to beat
The 300 and 338 NM are non-belted magnums, where the 308 NM is belted just like the 300WM. The 300WM just can't hang. The 338 LM fell out of favor for the most part.

The former have generally the same case, being the 338 NM is the parent case. I'd have to look but the case capacity is much higher in both, where the 308 NM is closer to 300WM. If all that made sense.

The 308 NM should be a great round in any case, especially for longer range big game.

The two formers are also the LR and ELR cartridges for the MK22 ASR and the 338NM is the round for this awesomeness 👇👇
GDLMMG.jpg

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 300 and 338 NM are non-belted magnums, where the 308 NM is belted just like the 300WM. The 300WM just can't hang. The 338 LM fell out of favor for the most part.

The former have generally the same case, being the 338 NM is the parent case. I'd have to look but the case capacity is much higher in both, where the 308 NM is closer to 300WM. If all that made sense.

The 308 NM should be a great round in any case, especially for longer range big game.

The two formers are also the LR and ELR cartridges for the MK22 ASR and the 338NM is the round for this awesomeness 👇👇
View attachment 333440
Dang that thing looks sweet!

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 308 norma built on a 17 enfield action that was a shooter I sold it when ammo got to be around 100$ a box, way out of my price range. But I never had any complaints about the cartridge. it would do anything any other 30 cal mag would do

Latest posts

Top Bottom