.308 rifle suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the market for a .308 rifle. It will be my first big boy rifle, and I am a little confused as to what I am after. I would like suggestions from the OSA crew. I have checked out a number of Savages, and have mostly settled in on that line of guns. My wants for a .308 are good ergos, accuracy, and comfort. I also don't need, and maybe don't want a full bull barrel. This will be my "if I need to hunt" gun, and not a bench rest target getter. I will have to haul it in, and out of the field, and don't want the extra weight to lug around.

The best feeling gun I have seen is the savage model 10 hog hunter, but that barrell is too short, and it is without optics, and seems to fit my needs much less than other options.

What I like about the savages is they seem to point really easy, and hold steady. They also seem to come in at a decent price, and I don't want to spend a ton on this gun. Give me suggestions, or links to a decent deal, and I will continue to search through the forums and interwebs to gather as much info as I can.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you say the barrel is too short on the Hog Hunter? 20" should be fine for both hunting and short/mid range shooting. Only thing you give up on long range is velocity.

Any scope worth buying you'll have to buy separately. I'd consider "package deal" optics a stand in for just until you can get a good scope.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog hunter is what I would buy. It's basically 10FP with iron sights and $200 cheaper.
Iron sights can be removed.
I would replace the stock with B&C Duramaxx (shameless plug - I got one for sale for in OD Green w/web).
I would put a good scope base. (shameless plug #2 - I got Farrell for sale in the classifieds).
Put a decent scope on it Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Vortex.

And you have an all around rifle you can practice, hunt, compete ....

If you have to have lightweight rifle - I would recommend Tikka or Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 or 243, there is no reason to do 308 in dedicated hunting rifle.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why do you say the barrel is too short on the Hog Hunter? 20" should be fine for both hunting and short/mid range shooting. Only thing you give up on long range is velocity.

Any scope worth buying you'll have to buy separately. I'd consider "package deal" optics a stand in for just until you can get a good scope.

I was under the assumption the hog-hunter was an 18" barrel. The guy that was showing me the gun had no idea what he had, I assume. The gun feels nice, and balanced. I Have looked at a 10 fxp, the walmart configuration, and it wasn't bad. IT comes in at 397.00 with a scope, which I agree, is just to get by with. I like iron sights for function, but I can't see as far as the .308 will accurately place rounds.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog hunter is what I would buy. It's basically 10FP with iron sights and $200 cheaper.
Iron sights can be removed.
I would replace the stock with B&C Duramaxx (shameless plug - I got one for sale for in OD Green w/web).
I would put a good scope base. (shameless plug #2 - I got Farrell for sale in the classifieds).
Put a decent scope on it Bushnell, Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Vortex.

And you have an all around rifle you can practice, hunt, compete ....

If you have to have lightweight rifle - I would recommend Tikka or Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 or 243, there is no reason to do 308 in dedicated hunting rifle.

Thank you for this. It is helping to alleviate my concerns.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big fan of my Ruger Gunsite Scout, although definitely more pricey than the Savage you are talking about. Also, it is hard to go wrong with a Browning.