.308 rifle suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That article was a good read, and confirms my want for a 20-22" barrel. The article suggests a thicker contour to reduce heat up variances.

The article said they use the 18 inch barrel with no issue. You likely won't be shooting at any distance and won't be using anything over 168-165 grain bullets and more than likely 150 grain. Get the savage hog hunter

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you for all the responses and input. I did choose Savage, however, I did not choose the hog hunter. Walmart had a Savage 10 FXP in .308 for 397.00 +tax, or 430.00 out the door. I felt for around 80.00-100.00 less than the Hog Hunter, it was a better deal. It came with a Bushnell Banner scope, which is not terrible, and performed pretty well upon sighting in the gun. I figure it is at the least better than Iron sights. It also has a 22" sporter barrel, which seems to perform well, and was not heating up excessively. It also came with the accutrigger which, out of the box was sweet. I have not touched it, nor do I plan to.

Here are my thoughts, I would like to replace the stock, which apparently I would have to anyway on just about any Savage. In my opinion, I got into a good gun, at a good price, and if I am going to have to upgrade certain things anyway, regardless of model, I would rather start with a lower priced gun. Once the stock is replaced, I will be in the ball park of the money spent on the Hog Hunter base rifle, before upgrades, and have a gun that performs similarly. The more for less adage seems to apply.