.35 Whelen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask the shop that has the 35 Whelens if they will remove the barrel from the frame and allow you to drop a factory round into the chamber. If the round drops more than .002 to .003 below flush with the end of the chamber, I would suggest passing on the guns...

The 35 Whelen in any of the break open single shot rifles are notorious for Failure To Fire - FTF, because of the wide variations between factory ammunition and factory chambers...

Headspace can vary greatly in these guns...

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ask the shop that has the 35 Whelens if they will remove the barrel from the frame and allow you to drop a factory round into the chamber. If the round drops more than .002 to .003 below flush with the end of the chamber, I would suggest passing on the guns...

The 35 Whelen in any of the break open single shot rifles are notorious for Failure To Fire - FTF, because of the wide variations between factory ammunition and factory chambers...

Headspace can vary greatly in these guns...

I'll have to check into this. I've got H&R's right now in 223, 308, 444, and 45-70 that I've had great luck with. I'll usually keep an action and a few barrels in the car when I'm out of town working. They don't take up much space and are a blast to play with. I handload for all of them, but haven't noticed sloppy chambers in any of them I own.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You definitely need one, but since you handload you need two. The .35 Whelen is one of the most practical cartridges for North America, and how cool was Townsend Whelen? The answer is pretty damn cool.

This was my only splurge gun last year, after years of wanting a Whelen. Handi-Rifle would be just as accurate if not more so and likely just as reliable. But not as sexy.

84700009.JPG

Last edited:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would heed David's advice and at least check the chamber as he suggests. If you don't know who David of D&T is, try searching for D&T Custom Rifles. I dare say he has more experience with single shot rifles (building them and shooting them) than half of the members of this forum put together.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You definitely need one, but since you handload you need two. The .35 Whelen is one of the most practical cartridges for North America, and how cool was Townsend Whelen? The answer is pretty damn cool.

This was my only splurge gun last year, after years of wanting a Whelen. Handi-Rifle would be just as accurate if not more so and likely just as reliable. But not as sexy.

84700009.JPG

That, Ridge, is a beautiful rifle in a wonderful old caliber. I agree, old Townsend was one cool dude.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

84700009.JPG

That's too sexy. I would too afraid of dinging or scratching it to take it out into the woods, lol. What kind of scope did you decide on for that perttty thing?

Since I only really carry my Handi's as truck and traveling guns, I've kind of made it a rule to only use scopes I find on the cheap on them. I've got a Vari-X 4-12 on my .223, an old Bushnell 3-9 on the 308, an old steel tube Weaver 4x on the 444, and an old redfield frontier 4x on the 45-70. Mostly pawnshop finds, and a couple I horse traded for on here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom