.357 Sig Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got myself a M&P 40, with the plan being to use it as a multiple caliber gun. Here's my question, getting a 9mm barrel for it is almost a no brainer due to the cheapness of the ammo, and making it an option in times of limited availability, but what about a 357 sig barrel? I can't think of any benefits over a .40 for competition or target practice, but what about for hunting and self defense? I can honestly say I have a bit of an infatuation with this caliber, and just wanted to see what others opinions of it were before I spend money. A new barrel can be had for about $70, and of course the ammo isn't cheap, but I would be able to plink, shoot matches and such with .40 or 9.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
357 Sig ammo was still available during the 08 shortage and seems to be available now. I dropped a barrel in my glock 23 about a year ago and to tell the truth, I don't remember where I put the factory barrel, all I shoot now is 357.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LOVE .357 SIG!! I Don't currently own one, don't ask. I think first it is just a bada$$ mean looking round. You're pushing a 9mm projectile with the force of a .40S&W. What's not to Like? Defensively I think it's a great round and wish I had never sold my M&P .357SIG that I had a 9MM conversion barrel for.

deli_llama

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .357 sig is a great shooting round. I would definitely keep it as an option. It is easier handled than .40 (I don't like that round, for it is too snappy), is a really accurate round, and has some really interesting engineering put into the cartridge. I don't feel much more muzzle rise compared to a 9mm, but the ballistics are much better. The only deterrent is the cost of ammo. If you can buy in bulk, or start reloading that should be offset. I love my GLOCK 31, and need to find a deal on ammo so I can shoot it.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love the caliber, and as others have mentioned, sometimes easier to find in a crisis.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No not at all. Bottlenecking small pistol cartridges is not efficient. 40 is the way to go unless you just want to be different, which is A OK.