.357 Sig Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Properly designed hollow-point ammunition - regardless of caliber - all perform very close to each other when you take expanded diameter and penetration depth into account:

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_Handgun_gel_comparison1_zpsfb16b6cc.jpg

Note how little difference there is between the high-velocity .357SIG and other "slow-poke" rounds. The temporary cavity size is also virtually identical."

You decide.

Quoted from: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Properly designed hollow-point ammunition - regardless of caliber - all perform very close to each other when you take expanded diameter and penetration depth into account:

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_Handgun_gel_comparison1_zpsfb16b6cc.jpg

Note how little difference there is between the high-velocity .357SIG and other "slow-poke" rounds. The temporary cavity size is also virtually identical."

You decide.

Quoted from: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

I have a version of that chart that shows the 10mm round too. It's a lot more devastating. 10mm. That's a man's round. ;)

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not have a sig .357 pistol, but I'm tempted to buy one because I can find the ammo easily right now during this crisis. Outdoor America had pallets of cases of .357 sig the other day. 9mm and 45acp is hard to find right now. .357sig and .40 are pretty easy to find.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
357 Sig sucks. If you have a G32, I'll be a buddy and take it off your hands. I wouldn't wish one of those POS guns on anyone. :P

Last edited:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's the problem I have wrapping my head around the 357 sig debate. Most say "it's not any better than a 9mm +p". But if a 9mm +p is way better than a standard 9mm, even though it's only going 150-200 fps faster, then why isn't a 357 sig even better, since it's going 150-200 fps faster than a 9mm +p?

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the problem I have wrapping my head around the 357 sig debate. Most say "it's not any better than a 9mm +p". But if a 9mm +p is way better than a standard 9mm, even though it's only going 150-200 fps faster, then why isn't a 357 sig even better, since it's going 150-200 fps faster than a 9mm +p?

That's why my 9mm SD ammo is +P+.

We can argue the best caliber all day, but the fact is that .357 Sig is a good SD round, and ammo seems to be around when others are scarce.

For the $70 price of another barrel, to me, it is a cheap investment for another caliber option.

One thing that has not been brought up about the .357Sig is barrier penetration.

If a bad guy is shooting at you from behind a car door, for example, it might just make a difference.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's why my 9mm SD ammo is +P+.

We can argue the best caliber all day, but the fact is that .357 Sig is a good SD round, and ammo seems to be around when others are scarce.

For the $70 price of another barrel, to me, it is a cheap investment for another caliber option.

One thing that has not been brought up about the .357Sig is barrier penetration.

If a bad guy is shooting at you from behind a car door, for example, it might just make a difference.

All true.

And I have a hard time finding 9mm +p+ anymore so yeah.